Security Camera

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at a friends today and they said that they want a security camera to watch the cars at the front of the house.

Now knowing that they're loaded cheapskates I asked what their budget was? £100 was the reply :eek:

They only want a single camera (lowlight) and they do have a spare PC with a 1TB HDD, but I said that even using them that £100 would be pushing it.

So, any suggestions?

I've just got a 2 set from makro more than £100 though there was summat in maplins though for just over £100 with 1 camera ill try find the link

so, they obviously just think its a matter of getting a camera and plugging it into their PC?

do they realise that the quality will be utterly rubbish?

TBH I told them that they'd be looking at about £300 for a budget 4 camera kit,,,, but they only really want a single camera and they want to keep the cost down. I think they'd rather have a pants camera that gives a pants image but cheap rather than have something that will do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the foscam range of wireless ip cameras start from £30 and connect to your computer can be watched remotely great quality and can also be viewed from iPad iPhone or any android phone just search foscam on amazon

How about this from eBuyer, viewable over the net etc: looking at it, it looks like it wouldn't be suitable for mounting outdoors :(
http://www.ebuyer.com/260605-xenta-wireless-night-and-day-wireless-ip-network-camera-ip11wcolor

Though I'm loathe to recommend eBuyer because of their returns policy I thought it a a half decent deal. Sounds like you'll be doing it at mates rates anyway.......you could double the cost of this etc. If they have smart phones they'll really think they're getting something.

Have a look here too:

http://store.makro.co.uk/c-727-cctv.aspx
Do they want recordings or just a camera ?
They want recordings mateBTW they have a home office which is right at the back of their Victorian house (with the usual couple of steps in between),,, they also have a wireless network.. Both the front living room and front bedroom have TVs which they could use for monitoring

I am using a video surveillance system of alarmforce for about three years. It is working very well monitoring inside and outside my home. It costs about $12 pm that is obviously reasonable than other firms I came across. It came with life time warranty and two way live communication which is rarely seen in such a price range.