Self employed status raised in court today .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I don't visit  other Forums  :C

What.......? ?:|

You mean there ARE other forums??

I remember hearing rumors in the long distant past that the internet was not flat and somewhere it was possible to have parallel servers running 'other' forums...

I never believed it before....

But now our 'Tech Guru' suggest they may exist then well..........................

:eek: :unsure: :needdrink:

I have inside knowledge,  as a leading Tech.Guru  & Head of Forum IT , of their existence and now we have Rapparound  claiming to have actually visited one of them .   I don't know if "they" came for him  or drew him up on a tractor beam .  

I understand that for those who claim to have visited a parallel  forum ...time slows down there and although they think they have been away for a few minutes , they  return years later  to us, appearing to be  much older  and not recognising family & friends .

There was a case of a former Forumite who reappeared after a ten year absence ,  his job had been given to someone else , his missus had re-married & had two kids ...none of us remembered him yet he claimed to have logged into a parallel Forum  for about 10 minutes .  

So...be afraid  ...be very afraid  you know not of what you mess with

There are more things in this world , Horatio, than   are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are providing labour and materials, can send someone else to do the work if you don't fancy doing it, work for more than one client, and are quoting for jobs and thus taking on genuine financial risk, i.e. of the job runs over, tough, or if you have to do warranty etc. at your cost, then you are not self-employed

Absolutely 1000% correct.. No "if"s no "buts" 10,000% absolutely correct.

The number of times i have got involved in arguments about this is just silly, [especially on welding forums]

I had an argument with one person that was advertising for "staff" They thought they would be clever, so i told them that i would forward their advert to the inland revenue. They went quiet all of a sudden... Wonder why...

john..

My last apprentice got a job with a fairly large local firm and after about 6 months, the company ran into problems, we'd had some really bad weather and it had affected house building, and this firm did a lot of work on new builds. Well after laying off about 15 lads for a fortnight, Christmas arrived, after Christmas they were all called into the office and told the company would no longer be keeping them on, they were only going to employ 1 spark full time. Anyone who wanted to work for them could do but would have to be self employed, the young lad came to ask me my views on this and I said he'd need to think carefully as there would be a lot of expense in going it alone. There's a van, all the insurances, test gear, maybe extra tools, you need to put money away for holidays and sickness, because you don't get holiday or sick pay working for yourself.

Anyway he went in and had a chat with them, they'd be providing a van, for free, supplying all test gear and any tools he needed outside of his normal kit, they also guaranteed him regular work, the only thing was that during any quiet spells he'd have to look after himself and wouldn't get paid holidays, also the van couldn't be used unless it was for their business. Clearly in my opinion this isn't being self employed, it's just another way of getting around paying employers NI and workers rights etc. I asked if he had enough money to buy the kit he needed to wire the houses and if he was going to be ok working out prices, "no need, they are paying me X per house and supplying all the kit" definitely doesn't sound like being SE to me.