Separate DBs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.R

Reaction score
Hi All
Although my work is pretty much industrial, I’m seeing increased marketing from manufacturers for EV dist boards, just makes me wonder what the main reason for putting a board in vs feeding the EVSE from an appropriate MCB/RCBO within the existing DB ?

Hi All
Although my work is pretty much industrial, I’m seeing increased marketing from manufacturers for EV dist boards, just makes me wonder what the main reason for putting a board in vs feeding the EVSE from an appropriate MCB/RCBO within the existing DB ?
Depends how many ev charging points you are installing I suppose. I can't think of any reason you can't use a suitable existing board. Sounds like 'sales and marketing ' nonsense to me.

EV board, shower board, garage board don't get me started on 16th, 17th and 18th Ed boards plus you need 16th, 17th or 18th Ed testers or so the market says.

EV board, shower board, garage board don't get me started on 16th, 17th and 18th Ed boards plus you need 16th, 17th or 18th Ed testers or so the market says.

You forgot "Shed CU"....
Never understand why some people fit a CU to power a 5ft strip light & two double sockets (wired as a ring) in the garden shed!!?

It looks like people are being advised to have an EV board installed at source with tails directly from the henley block, I’ve seen online a few are done like that, just wondered what the reason would be not to use a spare way and correct OCPD in the existing board,
I’ve installed ev supply equipment but it’s always been three phase units, and they have all been from existing dbs, apart from one which I installed a 63a fused switch from a 200a busbar chamber for the supply

It's usually because the existing CU has AC type RCD's and/or there isn't a SPD,,, or anything else that would make it difficult to make it compliant...
Personally,,, if the CU can take it (safely) then I'll stick it in there

Don't know why anyone install's AC type RCD's anymore when RCBO's are the way forward for each circuit, I had to replace three SPD's in France in one installation, culprit was near Lightning strikes, the SPD's are a substantial cost, especially on three phase.

Last edited:
YouTube 'experts' by any chance?
No, companies on their own websites, installers who post their work etc, I’ve seen it all today when an email landed from proteus ev advertising their ev dist boards which look like two seperate boards in one, I don’t quite get that, then again I didn’t look at it for long, skim read the picture and binned it, I won’t use switchgear from them especially for larger stuff

Proteus is shite. Had one of their MCBs fail but still letting 200v through, so cct seemed dead, but...

Companies are always looking to push/ upsell products you don't need.