SHOWER

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiram

Reaction score
How would you guys code shower circuit with no local isolator.

Is the local switch for maintenence or emergeny disconnection.?

code 2, requires improvement. works as both safety and maintenance, though with RCDs I would say more maintenance these days. Basically there's a line in BS7671 about being able to isolate electrical equipment 'locally' ie close to point of use, or as close as reasonably allowed by circumstances, though I've never seen a limiting distance for showers - its 2m for cookers, so would expect a similar figure is relevent

This is not code-able (is that a word ?) This was discussed here about a week or so ago (Apache can look it up ). There is no mention of shower isolators in BS7671. I have always fitted one and remember being taught the switch must have electrical and mechanical identification of on ( Normally a neon and a flag for a pull cord) This was also recently discussed on the IET Website and the only comment on the 'need' to fit a switch may be the manufacturers instructions. These are not normally available for you to comment on so its a no code for a lack of isolator.

This is not code-able (is that a word ?) This was discussed here about a week or so ago (Apache can look it up ). There is no mention of shower isolators in BS7671. I have always fitted one and remember being taught the switch must have electrical and mechanical identification of on ( Normally a neon and a flag for a pull cord) This was also recently discussed on the IET Website and the only comment on the 'need' to fit a switch may be the manufacturers instructions. These are not normally available for you to comment on so its a no code for a lack of isolator.
oh yes yes...

'THAT' is definitely a word. ;)

not sure about code-able though! ]:)

any way went to a house once that had no switch to some wall lights.....

always on..

unless they turned off the fuse!!?? :_|

Nothing in the regs says you got to be able to turn you lights off at a wall switch!!!!

common sense: yes

Regs: no.

:eek: ; )

any way went to a house once that had no switch to some wall lights.....

always on..

unless they turned off the fuse!!?? :_|

Nothing in the regs says you got to be able to turn you lights off at a wall switch!!!!
Or maybe someone snipped of the pull cords that use to operate the wall lights :^O