Silly Pv Question.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hxsarge

Reaction score
i know very little about this... which will become evident, but you never know if you dont ask...

when using electricity during daylight hours, how do you know its using the power from the inverter and not your supply?

i do realise that this is probobly a silly question probobly answered by some basic electrical theory but hey im honest :)

on another note does anyone know of any text books/ cource material on pv as im quite interested in getting more involved in the future,

cheers guys

andy

serious- there is a book called 'solar pv for dummies'. I have read it myself and it is a good read...

i am not being sarcastic at all..

plenty of stuff on Amazon varying from eco-warrior living in a teepee stuff to full blown hevily technical stuff - I bought both ends, makes for interesting reading. Previous offer still stands hxsarge, it's really quite simple once you've done a few. Getting decent spec at decent price is the key!

ha actauly thought that was a joke for a second.... or maybe it was.... :) cheers.

yea its something im slowly getting more involved with, the last few months i have worked along side a local firm doing most of the hard work in terms of wiring in some commercial installs that i have been involved with.

I did this about 10 years ago. Had a caravan in Derbyshire, no mains what so ever. So had a couple of panels on the roof that charged a couple of batteries one for garden lights- water pump, other for lights and inverter for small tv. Worked great for weekends away.

cpc have some 70ah gel batts on sale at moment, i too have thought about garden lighting with a battery set up, great minds...

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wattson-Monitor-Photovoltaic-Electricity-Installation/dp/B007FFOJL4

In answering the 1st part of the original post, the Wattsons meter shows when you have any excess PV electricity you can use.

Also, I have a 200w PV with a MPPT controller charging an array of 12V batteries, also a 400W wind turbine with charge controller also charging the 12v Batteries, (out of a Forklift)

This is in my Garage, running 12v security LED lights, also connected to a 8KW (16KW) peak 12VDC-230VAC inverter, this is switched on via a DC voltage sensing relay, currently set at 13.8VDC, this always ensures the Batteries are fully charged, any excess, then the inverter is switched on.

The 230Vac output  pulls in a 30A 4 pole 2x N/O -2x N/C Relay.

This disconnects and isolates the Mains 230VAC to my garage and the generated 230VAC supplies the Garage/summerhouse and Stable.

Been running fully automated and fault free(fingers crossed) 2 yrs.

Any photos or info wanted just ask.(or in Driffield East yorks area) pop in for a view and a brew. ;)

Latest posts