Simple earth rod

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novice

Reaction score
They don't call it a cpc rod for some reason even though its function is to protect other circuits. Anyway....

I buried one in the garden just outside the house, ran some 10mm earth cable (to a 3Kw genny). Then I capped it with a purpose made plastic box and ran some conduit to a convenient location inside the garage. From there I can take the genny outside with a length earthing cable.

I certainly can't test Ze as my MFT can not test impedance on a live line although it can measure low resistance accurately (on a dead one obviously). I don't have two more spare earth rods and even if I did seems like overkill as I'm hardly creating a TT system here. The main house installation is a PME and for "fun" I measured the resistance between my earth rod (well the cable) and the MET. Intuitively this must give some indication of how well or badly the earth rod is performing. If the rod was made of plastic for example, this test would yield infinite ohms.

The result was nothing like that. So I would like to know what I have measured? Where does the earth rod electrically join up with the MET on my house installation. (The earth cable from the rod is obviously _not_ connected there). Whatever I have measured will show a higher reading for a poorer earth rod installation and a lower one for better installation/conductivity so why can't it be used to provide an indication of whether or not the earth rod is satisfactorily installed?

I haven't yet removed the supplier earth cable from the MET and measured directly to that, but I do know the main water pipe is plastic although gas possibly isn't. I plan to try the test again with that cable removed (and the CU shut down or at least nobody in the house when I do it).

Before you do something completely stupid and dangerous, would you care to give an explanation of what you are exactly trying to test/prove/discover?
You might also wish to give us an insight as to your level of experience and knowledge so that we can be best placed to advise.
Interfering with an installation, Without suitably being experienced or qualified is both dangerous and reckless.

They do not call it a "CPC rod" as it is NOT a circuit protective conductor....
(CPC's are used to connect exposed conductive parts of equipment on a final circuit back to the Main Earthing Terminal.)

Your "Rod connection" is NOT a final circuit, nor does it have any equipment with exposed conductive parts!

I think you will find you are actually trying to create and/or test an "Earth Electrode"...

Earth electrodes.. may be rods / tapes / structural steelwork etc..

If you want to know how to correctly test an earth electrode then get a copy of:-
Guidance Note 3

Section 2.6.13, starting on page 79..
thro to top of page 85...

It is far to many pages for me to type out answers for you..
But to summarises, (and as per Andy's observation),
a fair chunk of you post suggests a significant lack of understanding of some basic electrical principals.?

The best you will get with an MFT is an earth loop impedance reading... (which IS a live test)..

But you said you cannot do any live tests...?
Do you actually have just a multi-meter rather than an industry recognised MFT capable of Continuity, Inslation Resistance, Earth Loop Impedance, Prospective Fault Current, RCD trip times.?

Thank you for your friendly and highly informative replies. MFT is a UT525.

I buried a copper rod in the garden so I guess I'm dangerous and reckless.

Thank you for your friendly and highly informative replies. MFT is a UT525.

I buried a copper rod in the garden so I guess I'm dangerous and reckless.

I am assuming your UT525 is one of these..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32800013320.html

Although it can do more than one test function,
To most electricians it would not generally be termed an "MFT"..
as it cannot do earth loop impedance or prospective fault current measurements..

In simple definitions an MFT is able to do all the tests required to complete a standard electrical certificate for a CU & final circuits.
(obviously excluding any additional requirements due to areas such as EV's Solar etc.)

Back to trying to measure an earth electrode..
as an example of the same brand of tester as your UT525,
you would need something like this then follow guidance mentioned previously in GN3
https://www.tester.co.uk/uni-t-ut521-earth-ground-tester

Can't help but think that the OP is out of their depth and has little or no training whilst using terminology that is being misunderstood or used incorrectly