Sinking boxes into ROCK hard walls!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
I need to sink 4 double and 3 single boxes into a wall, even with an sds and chisel its hard work.

I've seen them plastic boxes with all the holes in that you drill through, are they any good?

Any other tips to chasing and sinking boxes into hard brick?

headbang Cheers headbang

As a last resort can you get stainless steel pattresses? as his socket faces are stainless, and I'll have to surface mount them.

keep your chisel sharp. Get a smaller one, the hammer energy will be more concentrated. Think like a stone mason, and learn how the brick breaks. Cut towards the slope that has already broken off, and the energy will break the brick down to the same level.

Somebody on this forum is a stone mason, but i can't remember who.

Another trick i have used, is where the wall was being dot and dabbed i blasted a big no shape hole into the bricks at the place were a socket is required. The boards are then put on but make sure the plasterer does not put dabs were you dont want it. Then just fit a drybox were the cables come out.

Another trick i have used, is where the wall was being dot and dabbed i blasted a big no shape hole into the bricks at the place were a socket is required. The boards are then put on but make sure the plasterer does not put dabs were you dont want it. Then just fit a drybox were the cables come out.
Nice, will remember that one;)

The chisel I have always used is called a scutch which has a serrated set of teeth which go through the toughest bricks. They cost about a tenner and the blades cost a couple of quid and last a good while. They have been around since the pyramids supposedly:)

35quid for a scutch to fit an sds drill, got one, its good but if you try and work the drill in different angles the scutch wants to escape the chisel.

never heard of sky hooks? Will have to ask for them next time I'm down the wholesalers for some purple minky washers