Smart Meter query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very interesting, thank you. It confirms exactly my point and situation.
Last night, after being out all the sunny day, I had a full battery of "free" solar electricity so I confidently connected the fridge freezer and the separate freezer to my solar battery, thus isolating them from the mains.
That left only 3 phone chargers, the house alarm, one security camera. I set the CH thermostat to 15 degrees so no CH pump use.
This morning at 8am my Smart Meter showed 700w usage since midnight!
Based on your figures, allowing for 100w of usage by the items we list, that is 600w of phantom use. That's 1.8kW over 24 hours, 657kW per year at my tariff of 27p per kW plus VAT = £186!
The next few nights I am going to isolate each circuit on the consumer unit in turn to try to identify the rogue item.
So you have consumed 0.7 Kwh over 8 hours @SPECIAL LOCATION suggests that a load of 50 - 100+ watts could be consumed by 24 / 7 appliances but mentioned no time period so it could be assumed that the load mentioned is 0.05 - 0.1Kw per hour therefore hitting your 700w used over 8 hours.
While looking for the loads that are causing you to stress have you considered what earth leakage your installation may have
I think the only way you can resolve you problem is to turn off the main switch and live off grid on solar only

My Smart Meter shows usage in real time. If I boil a kettle, the usage shows immediately on the meter.
It shows a load is being drawn in real time, I'm wondering how many watts your IHD consumes in a 24 hour period

in my experience people have far more small items drawing power than they imagine!
This is the problem especially when it comes to those out of sight out of mind loads that are buried in cupboards, lofts and even outbuildings.
With so many cordless rechargeable appliances these days it is very easy to rack up a considerable load even when these devices are fully charged

1.8kW per day?🤔
Or 75w per hour or 1.25w per minute or 0.0208w per second

The big numbers can cause concern if you are that way inclined when you break it down the number starts to become insignificant and not worth losing any sleep over

When you look at the technological society of today it most certainly consumes far more power than living did 40 or 50 years ago. It is often said that closing down the internet would significantly decrease carbon emissions and energy requirements but I doubt that happening

Virtually every device you list is a non resistive load and so ohms law calculations cannot be used to work out the power consumed. The power factor has to be born in mind.

In the context of this thread, the point of the exercise was NOT to work out an accurate power consumption... which I couldn't do anyway as I didn't bother checking any voltage values..

But it was just to show that the average house has numerous low current demand items connected and running 24/7 that many people forget about..
But cumulatively can consume a reasonable amount of power.. With some ball park rough calculations to indicate the area we are talking about..

Just trying to help the OP get a better understanding of the modern day, mains powered, devices that most homes have running 24/7.

This morning at 8am my Smart Meter showed 700w usage since midnight!
Based on your figures, allowing for 100w of usage by the items we list, that is 600w of phantom use. That's 1.8kW over 24 hours, 657kW per year at my tariff of 27p per kW plus VAT = £186!
The next few nights I am going to isolate each circuit on the consumer unit in turn to try to identify the rogue item.

Absolutely no idea how you are reaching a 600watt phantom usage figure??
I think maybe you are miss understanding your meter readings??
I don't think your meter is saying you are consuming 700watts per hour!!
It is cumulative usage over the 8 hours since midnight!

i.e.
Usage is not measured in Watts.. it is WattHours or KiloWattHours...
1x kWh = 1 unit of electricity..

e.g. 1kW running for 5hours is 5kWh (5units)
or 500watts running for 18hours is 9kWh (9units)

On your first post the display image showed 50Wh (WattHours) not 50watts.
As it was only 3 minutes past midnight, I guess is may have estimated Watts per Hour based on the consumption and the time period at the existing rate of usage?.

temp wh.JPG

And 50Wh is not far off my rough calcs from previous post?

So if your display is now showing 700Wh for an 8 hour period..
That (as Binky mentioned) is 700Wh / 8 = 87.5Watts running per hour for 8 hours..

Which to my reckoning is also not far off my rough estimate of 50w to 100w for the average house consumed each hour by the 24/7 appliances??

I don't understand how you have come to this calculation??
that is 600w of phantom use. That's 1.8kW over 24 hours, 657kW per year at my tariff of 27p per kW plus VAT = £186!