Smart meters........ did you know??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read two things I didn't know about Smart Meters.

1. They will alert the supply company if the main fuse is removed, could be interesting.

2. The Electrical Safety Council are saying this is a last ditch chance to incorporate an isolating switch in the meter to safeguard contractors who, apparently , are removing the main fuses themselves when upgrading consumer units.

already heard about the power failure bit. no idea how true it is, or what they would do about it though

there was an article in this month PE magazine (may have been the other one that comes with it) about trying to get smart meter with built in isolator. there was also a pic of one

The supply company will be able to compare the signal to their database of cuts. plus if it's only one meter they'll know it's not a cut.

Be interesting to know what they intend to do with this info though. They'll most likely be cheesing off a lot of Chief Constables if they start reporting all instances of fuse removal.

And anyways, what do they expect. they've already refused once to fit isolators into SMs. If they continue down that route they'll maintain the status quo, namely that most electricians will continue to pull the main fuse as necessary. if they don't want main fuses pulled then they must provide a suitable means of isolation.

At least this will alert them to the need to provide a safe means of isolation.

Due to the issues at the moment they, the DNO's don't see the need.

As this is being done 1000's of times daily without informing them, then their opinion is that there is no requirement for this service.

Ok lets look at it outside the box.......

they dont want us to pull the fuse....fine

but then putting in smart meters they must improve their response time and reliabilty to our requests for fuse removal

they cant have it both ways

this is where i would hope the scams would step in ........(whoops im dreaming
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
)

Dream on Theo !!!!

And I'd guess that thousands of Smart Arse Meters have already been produced (without a switch) Those foriegn companies who supply all our power are not interested in anything other than making a profit before selling out and moving on before they have to start upgrading the networks.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:03 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:01 ----------

[quote name='Andy

This is heading towards the seal fairy argument.

Whatever happens we will all do what is necessary for safe isolation to do a CU change. And did I mention the seal fairy?

The DNO's should already know how many times a main fuse is being pulled, as we all report a fuse that we just happened to notice needs re sealing don't we? (well I do) But this extra information should reinforce that knowledge and make sure they come out to re seal the fuse.

But thankfully up here, most single phase S&S meters already have an isolator (though I did hear one report they were phasing those out - how stupid if that's true) but I have yet to see an E7 or E10 meter with built in isolation.

Are they actually putting them in. On the barn conversion i just finished one was supposed to be installed due to fact an outside meter could not be used but it then turned out EDF are not doing them yet apparantly and the strange thing SSE came and fitted an isolator meter which helped me out all very confusing.

Seen as these meters are so smart & they contain sim cards for data transfer, surely it lends itself to the DNO being able to isolate remotely?.....(saved them a fortune in a few lines there.....sorry meter boys P45's after putting in all the smart meters).

One call from the contractor & off it goes..................just see HSE wearing that one:slap

I just read two things I didn't know about Smart Meters.1. They will alert the supply company if the main fuse is removed, could be interesting.

Hmmmmmm? Why? How and Who would this help??? :C

Think someone

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really know how they work , Specs, I can only guess that removing the power would appear on the readout , then if it didn't coincide with an "official" power cut it would flag up and they may investigate for possible fiddling .

As you say , all this monitoring is very 1984 /BB but isn't that the world we are creating ?

Again as you say, a meter flags up "Supply disconnected" at 23 Acacia Avenue , the Electric Police Fast Response Squad are alerted and come screaming up the road, kick the door in and demand to know if there is an electrician on the premises . You would then be dragged from under the stairs , new consumer half done and taken before an emergency court hearing , found guilty, your Part P registration revoked, stickers ripped off your van , your testers taken away and crushed and you would be excommunicated from the Forum, the JIB, The Union, The ECA.

The householders would be taken out and shot , beheaded , their heads put on stakes at Tyburn Hill to teach others a lesson.

I don't really know how they work , Specs, I can only guess that removing the power would appear on the readout , then if it didn't coincide with an "official" power cut it would flag up and they may investigate for possible fiddling . As you say , all this monitoring is very 1984 /BB but isn't that the world we are creating ?

Again as you say, a meter flags up "Supply disconnected" at 23 Acacia Avenue , the Electric Police Fast Response Squad are alerted and come screaming up the road, kick the door in and demand to know if there is an electrician on the premises . You would then be dragged from under the stairs , new consumer half done and taken before an emergency court hearing , found guilty, your Part P registration revoked, stickers ripped off your van , your testers taken away and crushed and you would be excommunicated from the Forum, the JIB, The Union, The ECA.

The householders would be taken out and shot , beheaded , their heads put on stakes at Tyburn Hill to teach others a lesson.
they wouldn't dare go near number 22