Smart Wifi switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc2024

Reaction score
Hi - Thanks for accepting me in this forum.

I have a question about wiring a Wifi smart switch in replacement of a 3 gang 1 way switch in my garden room.

I have posted some pics here of the current switch setup which has downlights in the room, wall lights out side and downlights in the front soffit.

The current switch has 3 x common and 6 x L1/L2 terminals. There are 2 brown going into 1 common, then the other 2 are linked via brown wires to the remaining common terminals. Then the same deal with the L1 terminals, 2 into first L1 and 1 brown into the remaining L1 terminals, L2 remain unused. There is then a small block housing all the neutral cables.

The question i have is, how do i connect the new switch given that it has only 1 x Live terminal and 3 x L1/2/3 terminals plus a terminal for neutral. The manual does say if you have no neutral then you need to install the supplied capacitor, but we do have those neutrals in the block. Can anybody advise if this is a simple connection or more complicated than expected?

Please see pics to show current setup, and new switch, and thanks in advanced for any kind of help.

Attachments

• Switch 4.jpg
    Switch 4.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Switch 5.jpg
    Switch 5.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Switch 3.jpg
    Switch 3.jpg
    715.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Switch 2.jpg
    Switch 2.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 0
  • Switch 1.jpg
    Switch 1.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 0
Connect your neutral to all the other neutrals, probably easiest to swap that 5 way wago for a 6 way and a neutral link from that to the switch N terminal.

The brown that presently links to all 3 switches to your L terminal.

The other 3 browns to L1, L2 and L3 respectively. Noting that one of your switches have 2 browns coming out of it so those 2 always stay together.

WELL DONE for photographing the old wiring before you disconnected it.

The one which goes to all three is the live feed. Personally I would identify it with a bit of tape. Mixing up the other, outgoing, wires would just result in the wrong light coming on, whilst getting the live feed wrong could produce very confusing results.

Connect your neutral to all the other neutrals, probably easiest to swap that 5 way wago for a 6 way and a neutral link from that to the switch N terminal.

The brown that presently links to all 3 switches to your L terminal.

The other 3 browns to L1, L2 and L3 respectively. Noting that one of your switches have 2 browns coming out of it so those 2 always stay together.

WELL DONE for photographing the old wiring before you disconnected it.
Hi - Apologies for the delay been away on holiday.

Thank you for the swift response and advice, I thought this should be straight forward save pestering my electrician again. Ill give this a try.

The one which goes to all three is the live feed. Personally I would identify it with a bit of tape. Mixing up the other, outgoing, wires would just result in the wrong light coming on, whilst getting the live feed wrong could produce very confusing results.
Thats a good point, ive got some tape sat in a draw just begging to be used lol. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts