Smartenergy Master Heating

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave2

Reaction score
Has anyone any knowledge of this system?

Been asked to do some work on a boiler which incorporates this system.

The company has gone bust and I cant find any info on the product.

It is a panel connected to the boiler and it operates the system by the return water temperatures back to the boiler (combi).

There is no roomstat but the boiler connection for this is linked to the panel.

The system was installed with evacuated tubes on the roof.

Customer says system is crap and wants me to install roomstat.

I don't know it, but it sounds like a carp way of incorporating solar thermal heat into the return flow of a conventional boiler.

It will fail (or be rubbish) for several reasons.

Firstly, the way solar thermal works is the heat comes in "burst"  i.e the water in the tubes just sits there until it attains a certain temperature then a pump will come on to bring that heat down leaving another lot of cold water in the tubes to heat up.

So that really only works with a system that has a hot water storage tank, and the solar thermal contributes to heating that tank of water.

So it sounds like this system relies on the heating being on for it to inject each burst of heat to the boiler return.

So what about summer, when the heating is not on? That's when you will have most output from solar thermal, and there's nowhere for it to go. It son't contribute to the hot water as there's no storage tank and it's a combi boiler.

Now you just have to break the bad news to the customer.

defo crappy install as per Dave's comment above. No thermal system will work and be any use without storage tank. Water from stroarge tank can be used to feed combi but only at 30 C unless boiler is designed to cope with being fed hot wtaer.