Smoke alarms - Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
I've been to visit a customer today who's recently bought a property consisting of 4 floors which contains a total of 5 bedrooms. There's currently 1 mains-fed smoke alarm on each floor. Amongst other things he's looking into the possibility of renting out each bedroom separately and wanted to know if consequently each separate bedroom would need it's own mains-fed smoke alarm. I can't seem to find a definitive answer and was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on it for me or point me to the applicable regulation.

Thanks in advance.

Aico do a contractors handbook which is free. Well handy and would answer your question but it's in the van and its cold so I'll let someone else answer. Check it out on Internet. It's full of useful info and very easy to read with loads of pictures. Cheers

Aico do a contractors handbook which is free. Well handy and would answer your question but it's in the van and its cold so I'll let someone else answer. Check it out on Internet. It's full of useful info and very easy to read with loads of pictures. Cheers
I've just ordered one, thanks for the pointer! :)

Can anyone advise me what the standard procedure is before it arrives?

Well you cant say for sure what people may do in each room they rent, things such as....smoke in bed....cook on a burner...have their own electric heaters.

So my advice would be , yes one interlinked detector in each room, you'll need to think about a manual call point on each floor or near exits.

I was discussing this with a fellow spark who says if rooms are being rented out seperately (i.e student flat) every room needs a seperate smokie as per instructions from the HMO.

Dont take my word for it though just what a mate was saying to me, unsure why we got onto that conversation either to be honest!

Our local La and Fire service ask for a mains heat alarm in each kitchen, interlinked [radio or hard wired] and a mains or 10yr battery sso often moke not interlinked. The reasoning is that frequent nuisance smoke alarms lead to them being pulled off the wall so not to interlink them....

my local authority would state you must install a l2 type fire system with a fire panel break glasses etc

trouble with mains interlinked you would need one of those silencing units as if a det went faulty in a flat and they were away, there would be no way to silence alarm.

often see the fire panel which you enter a code to make the controls active 2-2-1-4 for example, that way any tennant can silence if there is a false alarm.

it may be down to your local hmo dept