Smoke alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy

Reaction score
I can't find a definitive answer, ' to comply with regs does a domestic rewire have to have inter connected smoke alarms installed' from what I have read the point of contention seems to lie with a refurb requires smokes but does a rewire fall under 'refurb'. If someone can give an assured answer or point me in the right direction for correct regs it would be appreciated.

As far as I know ( I could be wrong here), a refurbishment that includes major building work (ie walls being taken down/ built up) then you do need to install smoke alarms due to the fabric of the building changing. If it's just a rewire then you don't have to have smoke alarms put in, but for the cost of

That's a rip off Betty, whenever I tender for domestic work, I always take a copy of the socket/room allocations with Me. It is only a guide, but most people don't think about what a few extra sockets per room cost long term - next to naught when doing a full rewire.

AndyGuinness

I can't find a definitive answer, ' to comply with regs does a domestic rewire have to have inter connected smoke alarms installed' from what I have read the point of contention seems to lie with a refurb requires smokes but does a rewire fall under 'refurb'. If someone can give an assured answer or point me in the right direction for correct regs it would be appreciated.
NO!

It is building regulation part B that stipulates the requirement for smoke detection

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/AD_B_v1_wm.pdf

Page 12 has the actual regulation for suitable early warning and means of escape from fire..

How you comply with this has numerous possibilities..

BUT this is for New build properties

or any significant structural alterations to a property. Adding removing walls / rooms ect...

Or doing loft conversions...

A rewire on an existing property only requires ..

WHAT THE CLIENT HAS REQUESTED...

e.g.

they may be quite happy with just the wiring and keeping their battery operated smokes.. (or no smokes..)

Basically if building control do not need to come out to the job then it probably will not have to have smokes fitted!

Guinness

Surely for the sake of a couple of cables and a few minutes to cable and second fix, just add it on the price. If the customer wont accept them on the basis of safety then you have a tool to offer a reduced price!! Either way the customer thinks they are getting a good deal.

Surely for the sake of a couple of cables and a few minutes to cable and second fix, just add it on the price. If the customer wont accept them on the basis of safety then you have a tool to offer a reduced price!! Either way the customer thinks they are getting a good deal.
BUT...

the question asked isn't..

Would every reputable, competent spark normally use his common sense and quote and fit smokes on a rewire?

Which would be YES!..

:coffee

the question was..

Do you HAVE to do it to comply with the regs...

Which the answer is NO!

:(

Thank you Special location. Sharpend, the question was out of interest, the customer is having them fitted out of choice but questioned me on the legal requirements and therefore was I uncomfortable with having to say that I was unsure, didnt look very professional.

Question for special Location.

I agree with your answer above, however I do have a general enquiry which will show my ignorance of Part P, a rewire would require a compliance certificate and notification, in doing so, omitting the inclusion of an interlinked hard wired detection system is this still fully compliant with the regulations?

I suspect from your answer above that it is, but I am just curious.

Question for special Location.I agree with your answer above, however I do have a general enquiry which will show my ignorance of Part P, a rewire would require a compliance certificate and notification, in doing so, omitting the inclusion of an interlinked hard wired detection system is this still fully compliant with the regulations?

I suspect from your answer above that it is, but I am just curious.
Yes Manator you are correct....

I will elaborate this a bit further for the benefit of others reading....

Note:-

Although I know some members moan if I try to break an answer down into simplified steps..

I am in no way implying the you do not understand the concepts... (far from it:worship)

BUT, I do feel this is an area that creates a bit of confusion for some younger less experienced members so I am going to break it down hopefully into a simple illustration.....

Firstly;

Q1/ What is the FUNDAMENTAL REQUIREMENT OF PART P BUILDING REGS?,

A1/ For Part P compliance all you have to do is ensure all the electrical work you have been contracted to do is not a danger to people from fire or injury.....

e.g. from page 5 of App Doc P:-

PART P REQUIREMENT PAGE 5.JPG

Q2/ HOW DO WE MEET THIS REQUIREMENT?

A2/ One of the ways to achieve this is ensure that your work is in accordance with BS7671

e.g. from page 7 of App Doc P:-

HOW TO MEET PART P.JPG

We can note here there is NO reference to other BS publications... such as BS5839-6 ?? :C

Secondly;

The big myth and mistake inexperience sparks make is to assume that they have an obligation to bring EVERYTHING in an installation up to current regs...

{ We see this on the forum frequently with some of the questions about coding on periodic inspections!!!!!!!! headbang }

And that EVERY single bit of building regs must be applied whenever you are doing any electrical work at a property.

There are lots of building regs relating to lots of subjects... Ventilation/Sound/Fire/Glazing/Structure/Drainage etc... etc..

You only apply any relevance to the ones that directly relate to your contracted work...

EXAMPLE 1:

Now lets consider a NEW build where smokes will have to be fitted to get the LABC to sign the job off....

There is nothing stopping the client from employing numerous contractors,

(from different companies) to do various aspects of the work...

e.g.

Contractor 1: Brickwork

Contractor 2: Glazing

Contractor 3: Roof

Contractor 4: Kitchen fit & kitchen electrics & plumbing

Contractor 5: Bathroom fit & bathroom electrics & plumbing

Contractor 6: Fuse box

Contractor 7: Landscape gardening & garden electrics

Contractor 8: Internal decor upstairs

Contractor 9: Internal decor downstairs

Contractor 10: Heating & ventilation

Contractor 11: Smoke & fire detection

Contractor 12: Solar PV

Contractor 13: Home automation & audio & video systems

Contractor 14: Telecoms and data cables

Contractor 15: Other standard wiring accessories in rooms

Contractor 16: Security alarm

etc..

etc..

OK so that is clearly exaggerated and rather impractical..

BUT legally a customer could do it if they so wished and had to money to throw away!!!

So each individual contractor would only be responsible for compliance with the building regs for the parts of their work that come under the specific guidance.

SO the only one responsible for the smoke detection is the person who has been contracted to do that work....

EXAMPLE 2:

Joe blogs the spark has been asked to rewire an existing property....

Customer has said he doesn't want any smokes done or fitted....

(maybe he has someone else doing some later????)

So Joe blogs the electrician just has to make sure that the work that he does..

is electrical safe and is not going to endanger anyone..

by complying with current BS7671..

and Part P for his bit!

Remember...

BS7671 make NO requirement for installing smoke detection!!!

AND...

It is the HOMEOWNERS responsibility to ensure that work done at their property complies with all relevant building regs..

and they are under no obligation to have the work done by an electrician who can self certify!!!

It is the Homeowner who gets the fine!

All that we as electricians have to do is ensure ALL WORK WE HAVE BEEN CONTRACTED TO DO is safe and compliant.

And sign for OUR work....

Personally if a customer didn't want any smokes fitted I would have written to the customer and attached a copy to the EIC as confirmation that the customer is aware of best practice.

But clearly you can do a rewire without fitting the smokes yourself and issue an EIC & Part P cert just for your work..

No different than if you just change a CU

then two years later start to rewire individual circuits on a bi-monthly basis until its is all done...

the property has still has a full Elongated rewire....

But you don't have to fit smokes when doing just a CU or just an individual circuit!!

GuinnessGuinnessGuinness

is this the bit where paddler says something about sheriffs badges?????

:slap :slap:slap

:Blushing

:coat

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts