Smoke Alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see we're becoming Fire System designers again   :huh:      I do understand that sparkies are inteligent guys and care about what they are involved with but I honestly believe that unless we have the appropriate qualifications , working knowledge of the relevent regulations etc then we should restrict ourselves to the simple domestic applications. 

I've installed commercial Fire Alarm Systems , Schools, hospitals etc,   but they were all designed, specified and commissioned by fire alarm companies .

A carpenter employed to hang a 1hr fire door say, doesnt start wandering down corridors and designating more fire doors .

I do design fire alarm systems, our company is very well insured as a result!!

However, some installs are out of my remit and I use a professional fire system designer who then does the commissioning. He will only commission a fault free properly installed fire alarm and turns up with the as installed drawings, so if one detector is not where his drawing is, he goes home until it is moved.

The final result is a properly designed, fully compliant system that meets or exceeds the requirements.

If you design any alarm system and it does not work, your in deep, well above your head in poo and could face some time contemplating your future sharing a room with another inmate.

I used to have an 'in-house' fire detection system designer, and commissioning done by an internationally recognised company,  :)

alas, that is no longer the case, for the next few months at least.  :|

I used to have an 'in-house' fire detection system designer, and commissioning done by an internationally recognised company,  :)

alas, that is no longer the case, for the next few months at least.  :|
If your supplier is worth their money, they should provide a full design supply and commission service, for fire alarm or intruder alarm and for lighting design.

I have software for all, but still call the pro's in from time to time.

On a side note I am going to PM you, I need to borrow your Ra tester if thats OK. Canoeboy is too far away from me and he will only make me pay for the curry night if I borrow his :slap

If your supplier is worth their money, they should provide a full design supply and commission service, for fire alarm or intruder alarm and for lighting design.

I have software for all, but still call the pro's in from time to time.

On a side note I am going to PM you, I need to borrow your Ra tester if thats OK. Canoeboy is too far away from me and he will only make me pay for the curry night if I borrow his :slap
yes, not a problem,

on a play with canoeys sig,

if you think its expensive to buy a curry,

wait til you have to buy the beers   :slap

I concur.

Smoke alarms used in domestic premises do not constitute a Fire alarm. (Although it does cause a lot of confusion)

Fire alarms need to be properly specified.

Latest posts