Smoke And Co Alarms Mandatory For Landlords From Oct 1St 2015

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_the_rich

Sock Muncher
Reaction score
Got a text from a landlord client of mine saying that new regs are coming into force on 1st October http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2015/9780111133439/pdfs/ukdsi_9780111133439_en.pdf

no reg as to what type, mains or battery

must be installed in bathrooms and WCs

England only

co alarm for rooms with solid-fuelled appliances

This is the first I have heard of this. It seems like I am missing out on a business opportunity; fitting alarms in WCs, providing landlords with details of their installation and pressing test buttons etc.

Anyone else not in the loop like me?

Up here, smoke, heat and CO alarms become mandatory for rented properties from 1st December.

Must be mains powered interlinked.

Not heard a requirement for any in bathrooms.

Heat detector in kitchen, CO in any room with a combustion appliance of any fuel.

I've been fitting a lot lately.

The act does not say alarms must be fitted in bathrooms and toilets. It says for this act, bathrooms and toilets are classed as living accommodation and each floor that has living accommodation must have a detector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is interesting, what happens on a new build and a person buys to let, are they asked this at the time of purchase so that the requirements can be met as the property is built, or is this something that will be overlooked and be made the sole responsibility of the landlord? Or will the landlord have a course of redress against the builder for supplying a property unfit for purpose?

I think the new requirements are in building regulations now, so a new build would comply.

This is just forcing landlords to upgrade their rental properties.

I do wonder sometimes if a comprehensive set of AICOs could dispense with the need for fire panels in smaller premises. I know Trumpton like the panels cos it indicates roughly where the fire started, but some times you do wonder if that is really necessary. I'm thinking about how cost of a panel system puts people off installing anything.

I had plumber tell me battery powered ones are fine, as he planned to sell them when he did gas tests.

He was also full of S**t as he claimed my gas bonding should be within 300mm of the meter or he would shut the gas off. :slap

I had plumber tell me battery powered ones are fine, as he planned to sell them when he did gas tests.

He was also full of S**t as he claimed my gas bonding should be within 300mm of the meter or he would shut the gas off. :slap
He can't turn the gas off without permission of the responsible person. If permission is refused, he notes it and if possible gets them to sign it. If the situation is "immediately dangerous" he then reports it to the gas transporter. Only they can legally cut off the gas, they have rights of entry. Would like to hear their response to "not within 300mm" :)

Seems that there is no distinction between battery and mains powered. So he is right there.

Still can't work out from the legislation whether landlords need to fit them now (today) or on expiry of their current tenancy agreement. They definitely need to be in place, and tested, at the start of a new agreement or renewal. 

Latest posts