Smokes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rutts35

PDF Magician™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taken from google to save me typing!!

For new homes and extensions, at least one mains-powered smoke alarm system with detector/alarms interlinked should be fitted on each floor. (Mains-operated smoke alarms should be fitted with batteries as a back-up.) They should be positioned within 7.5m of bedroom doors and located in landings and hallways. Smoke detectors should also be positioned at least 300mm away from pendant lights and from the interface between the ceilings and walls.

Open plan areas which feature kitchens create an added risk. As such, they require the addition of a heat detector/alarm interlinked to the smoke alarm system. Again, these should be positioned at least 300mm away from pendant lights and from the interface between the ceilings and walls.

I've always fitted as per this paragraph. However, a friend of friend asked advise on this as the guys fitting his loft extension said it's changing (they said that the guidance is changing to increase the amount required). His sparks said the same thing as me (basically the above) but then said he'd made a pone call and the guidance was changing. Anyone know of this? Have I missed it?

Cheers

Taken from google to save me typing!!

For new homes and extensions, at least one mains-powered smoke alarm system with detector/alarms interlinked should be fitted on each floor. (Mains-operated smoke alarms should be fitted with batteries as a back-up.) They should be positioned within 7.5m of bedroom doors and located in landings and hallways. Smoke detectors should also be positioned at least 300mm away from pendant lights and from the interface between the ceilings and walls.

Open plan areas which feature kitchens create an added risk. As such, they require the addition of a heat detector/alarm interlinked to the smoke alarm system. Again, these should be positioned at least 300mm away from pendant lights and from the interface between the ceilings and walls.

I've always fitted as per this paragraph. However, a friend of friend asked advise on this as the guys fitting his loft extension said it's changing (they said that the guidance is changing to increase the amount required). His sparks said the same thing as me (basically the above) but then said he'd made a pone call and the guidance was changing. Anyone know of this? Have I missed it?

Cheers
Is this a family dwelling or a rented / HMO property

I visited a relative in England recently and was appalled to find here rented flat did not have a single smoke alarm.  It has been mandatory up here for many years that rental properties have smoke, heat and CO alarms.  And it's within 3 metres of a bedroom door up here.

Time England got up to speed on this.

Our new build has a total of 5 smokes, 1 heat, and 2 CO alarms.

I visited a relative in England recently and was appalled to find here rented flat did not have a single smoke alarm.  It has been mandatory up here for many years that rental properties have smoke, heat and CO alarms.  And it's within 3 metres of a bedroom door up here.

Time England got up to speed on this.

Our new build has a total of 5 smokes, 1 heat, and 2 CO alarms.

Same here - we've always required LD2 rather than the pitiful LD3 requirement of England/Wales.

And, as stated, it's 3m of bedrooms - not 7.5m

7.5m would be to do with the sphere of influence of detectors in a room for determining when an additional one would be required, generally for Part 1 systems.

There have been changes to fire alarms  , I received an email  but to my shame I gave it a swift glance  & forgot about it . 

Edit :      I just checked my emails , there are changes to BS 5839-6     its from the NICEIC  so obviously it doesn' t  tell me what the changes are but advertises  a copy of the BS   .    I didn't click to see how much they're flogging it for ,  for the following reasons :-

a) I'm getting too old .

b) I'm sick of demands to shell out more & more hard earned  cash on all this stuff. 

c)  Sometimes I just can't be bothered  anymore.    

Edit 2 :- 

While I was in emails I deleted about a thousand requests to sign up for courses .

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a spark who uses my wholesaler  ,  said around a month ago he'd signed up with Check A Trade ...thought it was wonderful, loads of work   ... I've not seen him since     :C    ( Imagine Brian shrugging shoulders) 

Talking of being pestered,  why are Check A Trade phoning me nearly every day?  Which part of NO do they not understand?

They tried with me a few years ago ....... every time I called them I said 2 things

1. Why would I spend ALL my marketing budget on a single advert?

2. I have too much work already - so why would I want even more calls?

Eventually they gave up.

Talking of being pestered,  why are Check A Trade phoning me nearly every day?  Which part of NO do they not understand?

one of the other similar scams kept phoning me. i told them any further calls and they would be invoiced. they phoned again, i sent an invoice. didnt get paid (never expect it to) but they stopped calling

It's not my job. I was just being asked my opinion based on what I now. It appears there are no changes afoot. The house owner has had cables run in for extra smokes in the off chance the BCO may ask for them. Thanks for the input.