Socket cct, what do you think ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom123

Reaction score
Hi,

my very first design (part of coursework) but I think it went very good. I will finish lighting cct and showers once I get some feedback on sockets.

Ground floor has concrete walls and upper is a plaster-ish wall.

Sockets-cabling.jpg

(correct link)

Also, how do you determine what power will be consumed by each double socket outlet ?

Thakns for help,

Tom.

I may be looking at it wrong, bit it looks as though your cable are in the walls. Is this right? or is it meant to show trunking along wall surface.

Agree with Andy prob best to show real world route of cables going through joists if you can or lines across rooms.

Also prob best to identify upstairs circuit as a different colour makes clarification of the circuits being seperate.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many ring or radial ccts you having for sockets? Noticed that your floor area is about 180m2 so you will need at least 2 ring ccts to comply but will benefit from at least 3 socket ccts for the ground floor, maybe could get away with 2 rings for first floor. Also you need more socket outlets in the kitchen.

I would actually say that you need to increase the amounts of double sockets in your bedrooms and study, depending on the room dimensions and who would be living in each bedroom. For a standard child's bedroom I would be looking at between 4 and 6 doubles in each room, not 3.

AndyGuinness

Thanks a lot, I had no idea that this routing would be that bad, but I had a critical look at everything again and here is what I came up with:

http://imgur.com/02El1

- The cables will go under-floor as it was recommended

- Few new radial cct

- Kitchen will be the main connecting point for all ccts

- More sockets (but not more than 5 in the biggest room)

Some extra info:

PX = pixel = 17.2mm

1 oil heater cct = 210PX = 3.7M

1 thermostat heating = 875PX = 15m

Main lower CCT (bed1+bed2 + 2 sockets from bed3) = 3751PX = 65E3 mm = 65M

Upper cct (without the radial cct) = 4330PX = 75M+(2M to DB) = 77M

I'm still having problems with decreasing the length of Upper cct...

I hope the overall routing looks better than the first try.

I'd have more outlets in the sitting room & kitchen, think about the socket locations in bedroom 4 (looks like it is master bedroom) in relation to a double bed. I'd put a socket on the landing & one in the porch + a fcu for alarm/doorbell.

You could with some clever cable routing go with....

• Kitchen & oil tank room 2.5mm ring or 4mm radial.
  • Family rm / Hall / Sitting rm / Dining rm / Study / Bedroom 4....... 2.5mm ring final.
  • Bed room 1 / bedroom 2 / bedroom 3 / bedroom 5 / bedroom 6 / Landing / porch ......... 2.5mm ring final

In effect splitting the house front / rear.