Solar Panel Damaged By Metal Bird Mesh

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBird

Reaction score
Hi. After solar panels were installed, pigeons moved in, and I then had wire mesh installed. I started getting DC isolation faults from the inverter monitoring platform whenever it rained following the recent heatwave. Once the roof dried out, the panels seemed to perform as normal.

The installer has investigated and lifted the panels. The isolating plate at the bottom of the panel has been damaged by the metal spikes of the mesh - there are holes and gashes. I have 12 LG panels, 9 of which are damaged, but I have recently seen that LG have stopped making panels.

It has been suggested that these panels cannot be repaired. If the panels do work OK when it's dry, would it would be possible to fill any pierced areas to protect against moisture. I am not sure at this stage whether any cells were affected.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had experience of this kind of damage.

If you mean the backsheet has been damaged, I have resealed with silicone
BlueBird:

Yes, it is the back-sheet which I believe is anodised aluminium. Do you have any idea how thick the back-sheet and the EVA film behind it are? Just useful to know how easy it would be for the mesh spikes to puncture through to the cells. I am using this construction diagram as a guide.

BlueBird:

Yes, it is the back-sheet which I believe is anodised aluminium. Do you have any idea how thick the back-sheet and the EVA film behind it are? Just useful to know how easy it would be for the mesh spikes to puncture through to the cells. I am using this construction diagram as a guide.
The frame is anodised aluminium, the backsheet, usually white in colour is a semipermeable plastic sheet material. I would be asking whoever did the damage to replace the panels.

The frame is anodised aluminium, the backsheet, usually white in colour is a semipermeable plastic sheet material. I would be asking whoever did the damage to replace the panels.
Yes, its now been confirmed that the mesh spikes have pushed through the back-sheet polymer into the cells. There will be a total replacement. The main lesson here is to make sure that in new installations, mesh is added along with the panels by the installer. Thanks for all your comments.

Yes, its now been confirmed that the mesh spikes have pushed through the back-sheet polymer into the cells. There will be a total replacement. The main lesson here is to make sure that in new installations, mesh is added along with the panels by the installer. Thanks for all your comments.
Can't believe whoever fitted the mesh was so stupid in the first place, or maybe I can 😃.

Hi. After solar panels were installed, pigeons moved in, and I then had wire mesh installed. I started getting DC isolation faults from the inverter monitoring platform whenever it rained following the recent heatwave. Once the roof dried out, the panels seemed to perform as normal.

The installer has investigated and lifted the panels. The isolating plate at the bottom of the panel has been damaged by the metal spikes of the mesh - there are holes and gashes. I have 12 LG panels, 9 of which are damaged, but I have recently seen that LG have stopped making panels.

It has been suggested that these panels cannot be repaired. If the panels do work OK when it's dry, would it would be possible to fill any pierced areas to protect against moisture. I am not sure at this stage whether any cells were affected.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had experience of this kind of damage.

UPDATE:
All the panels were replaced with 10 Hyundai panels and bird mesh properly installed with clamps. I now have 12 LG panels (3 good and 9 possibly repairable) sitting in the installers warehouse in Cambridge. I have contacted several Solar PB refurbishers but none seem to be interested. I have no experience of selling on Ebay, and would prefer not to.

If you know of anyone who would be able to use these panels, please consider getting in touch.

Many thanks

UPDATE:
All the panels were replaced with 10 Hyundai panels and bird mesh properly installed with clamps. I now have 12 LG panels (3 good and 9 possibly repairable) sitting in the installers warehouse in Cambridge. I have contacted several Solar PB refurbishers but none seem to be interested. I have no experience of selling on Ebay, and would prefer not to.

If you know of anyone who would be able to use these panels, please consider getting in touch.

Many thanks
Facebook marketplace is a good place to sell things, with current demand for solar, I reckon you will have no problems selling them.

Latest posts