Some advice needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If batista is installing downlights in the ceiling this does come under part p unless they are the kits from b&q etc.

batty

If batista is installing downlights in the ceiling this does come under part p unless they are the kits from b&q etc.batty
Hi

Ill show you links to show you the lights - that might be best i guess?

I went to post links to the items buti got " 1. You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 5 posts."

I take no-one has actually read the forum's T&C's then?It says it in there. ;) (as I posted above).
no. :eek:

If batista is installing downlights in the ceiling this does come under part p unless they are the kits from b&q etc.batty
why?? :|

Well we all work to BS7671, regardless, only the cowboys differ.. ; \
thats a sweeping statement!!!!! I could be offended by that! :(

Are you planning on fitting all 10 downlighters? That 500W! Phew. What about spending a bit more on some low energy downlighters? Bulbs last longer and significantly cheaper to run

eg http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88097/Lighting/Internal-Lighting/Recessed-Lighting/Low-Energy-Downlights/Energy-Saver-GU10-Fixed-Downlights-Chrome-9W-Pack-of-3

With the other lighting adding 360W you will be burning electricity.

Is this a VERY big room?

It isn`t a new cct, or CU change; and it isn`t in a "special location (bathroom, kitchen, garden etc.....)You`ll note "kitchen". 7671 does not class as specloc. Building regs do!

As this would appear to be addition to circuit, in a non-special location, part P does not apply.
Building regs

5.2 pg 56

"in open plan areas the zone of a kitchen may be considered to extend from the edge of the sink to a distance of 3m or to a dividing wall."

Building regs do not state a kitchen is a special location

but what it does say is everything is notifiable except "replacement of equipment including accessories" if it is within 3m of sink

Are you planning on fitting all 10 downlighters? That 500W! Phew. What about spending a bit more on some low energy downlighters? Bulbs last longer and significantly cheaper to runeg http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88097/Lighting/Internal-Lighting/Recessed-Lighting/Low-Energy-Downlights/Energy-Saver-GU10-Fixed-Downlights-Chrome-9W-Pack-of-3

With the other lighting adding 360W you will be burning electricity.

Is this a VERY big room?
I was going to add only 5 and not 10. Room is quite big but i know those lights are also like halogen heaters!

The reason i was going for that pack, is because it is a kit and would make it much easier for me to sort out and install

I was going to add only 5 and not 10. Room is quite big but i know those lights are also like halogen heaters! The reason i was going for that pack, is because it is a kit and would make it much easier for me to sort out and install
There's nothing special about that pack. If you read the description of the 3 low energy downlighters:

"Energy saving pressed downlight kits with insulated ceramic lampholders, terminal boxes and fixings. 9W GU10 energy saving bulbs supplied"

All the picture shows is 10 bulbs in boxes, 10 light surrounds and 10 light bodies. Nothing different to any other kit, just shown differently in the photo!

Originally Posted by batty

If batista is installing downlights in the ceiling this does come under part p unless they are the kits from b&q etc.

batty

I may be wrong but i thought that if you are cutting holes in the ceiling this comes under part p. Also those downlight kits are not fire rated and i would have thought they should be.

batty

Originally Posted by batty If batista is installing downlights in the ceiling this does come under part p unless they are the kits from b&q etc.

batty

I may be wrong but i thought that if you are cutting holes in the ceiling this comes under part p. Also those downlight kits are not fire rated and i would have thought they should be.

batty
not enough information, could be a bung-a-low roof on.!

Interesting. To be 'fake' it has to be something other than a ceiling. mmm. Floor tiles? :^O Do you mean a 'false' ceiling?

Fake would be more fun...........
yes, false lol - Its the only way i'd actually put the lights in, as i wouldnt want to drill through the actual ceiling.

I have the joists in for the ceiling and im about to start the plasterboard on there

yes, false lol - Its the only way i'd actually put the lights in, as i wouldnt want to drill through the actual ceiling. I have the joists in for the ceiling and im about to start the plasterboard on there
Hi Mate,

Have you taken any photos? Before, During, After (Once completed).

I would genuinely like to see them.

We have a "My Pictures" section on here. :p