Sparks Journey

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptaz

Reaction score
Hello all..starting of on the sparks journey, hoping to pick up tips and guidance on my journey from the experienced sparks here. 

Thanks for the tip...I know for a fact that my first job will have a cover and not on a damp wall unless I piss my self and forget to wire it all up...lol lets wait and see  :innocent

Thanks for the tip...I know for a fact that my first job will have a cover and not on a damp wall unless I piss my self and forget to wire it all up...lol lets wait and see  :innocent
there was a cover on the CU which i removed. but its something else i took the pic for. maybe you can tell us exactly what the problem is and why?

Thanks Andy a good learning exercise.  

apart from it being what it looks like a damp wall? I don't understand why there are 2 Henley blocks, CU seems to be a little untidy with respect to cables, is that a insulation tape that is on the bottom cable under the CU?

apart from it being what it looks like a damp wall? I don't understand why there are 2 Henley blocks, CU seems to be a little untidy with respect to cables, is that a insulation tape that is on the bottom cable under the CU?

I would be worried about 526.8 for starters..... 

then maybe.. 

with a dash of 514.3.1   &  514..4.4...

etc.....

No good talking about any protective devices...........

As most Part P qualified bods don't know how to calculate cable sizes, protective devices etc...  

They only do which colours go where...   2.5mm = ring, lights = radial...

2way switching = too complicated...

Last edited by a moderator:

exactly. the faults are blatently obvious to who knowledge / experience. yet you cant see it. now there is nothing wrong with that for someone who's just starting, but the fact is your planning on going out charging people to do electrical work and you dont have a clue about stuff you will come across too often. and its usually people like yourself who do stuff like that because they dont know any better

so the main issues (outside the CU, the cover was removed whilst i was fault finding which is why some conductors are not connected):

the SWA armour isnt earthed. its taped below behind the cleat

the conductors are not sheathed, they should be inside an enclosure

the SWA submain is split from the henley with no overload proptection

can you see the problems now?

Yes Thanks, its most helpful.  I can't speak for other people out there but at present there are no plans for me to going out to other people to do any electrical work.  All work is done on my own property.  Obviously I will get someone who has more experience then I to overlook the work that I do so that its done correctly.

I have a fair idea of the problems/challenges that you come across now.  You just need more scenarios presented to you so you can learn from them.  Guess this is where the apprenticeship come in or shadow someone with experience for months.

Yes Thanks, its most helpful.  I can't speak for other people out there but at present there are no plans for me to going out to other people to do any electrical work.  All work is done on my own property.  Obviously I will get someone who has more experience then I to overlook the work that I do so that its done correctly.

I have a fair idea of the problems/challenges that you come across now.  You just need more scenarios presented to you so you can learn from them.  Guess this is where the apprenticeship come in or shadow someone with experience for months.

Well why on earth are you asking about joining a contractor scheme for part P notification then ??

For occasional one-off DIY work in your own house this would be prohibitively expensive !!

Either way you do not appear to have  a clue about what you can do cant do..

tools needed..

what legal obligations are re Part P..

or what your qualifications actually give you experience in.... 

TBH it sounds as though you have been stitched up by a training company who has sold you something you don't need...

and wont give you any real knowledge how to assess everyday real problems.....

OR...

you are telling some porkies and you are intending to go out as an electrcian...

But are not prepared to do the proper groundwork before you start charging people!!

Never mind the CU, I doubt that the Henley blocks are to the correct IP on top surface.....unless s somebody has drilled the cable entry instead of tw@ ing it out with a driver!.....and in 40 years I have never seen one drilled out.

Lucy blocks have a reducer that can be slid in for smaller sizes

Merely illucidating.........