Spot Lights Not Working.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have changed the 5 non-working halogen bulbs and replaced with working (I have tested them) like-for-like bulbs, working like-for-like transformers and working like-for-like MR16 holders. I will look to changing to GU10 LEDS once I know what the problem is. Any advice? Thanks, THY
That's a rather expensive way to find a fault......

But as kerching says,,, you have a disconnection sonewhere between the last working light and the first non working one

I could be VERY wrong here - are your lights wired in series or parallel? I only ask as I think there is a voltage and a current type driver, and one of the types you have to wire in either series or parallel or the lights may not work.

I could of course be yapping complete and utter twaddle. :innocent

Andy Guinness

I could be VERY wrong here - are your lights wired in series or parallel? I only ask as I think there is a voltage and a current type driver, and one of the types you have to wire in either series or parallel or the lights may not work.

I could of course be yapping complete and utter twaddle. :innocent

Andy Guinness
Correct in your musings.......but i do not think he has LEDs at present

I am most likely wrong...see present wife for details

I have changed the 5 non-working halogen bulbs and replaced with working (I have tested them) like-for-like bulbs, working like-for-like transformers and working like-for-like MR16 holders. I will look to changing to GU10 LEDS once I know what the problem is. Any advice? Thanks, THY

As you appear to have been unable to solve this problem yourself in over half a month, the quickest and cheapest solution is to get someone with a suitable test meter to verify voltage, polarity and continuity at all of the fittings. Swapping items at random is not the way to identify the problem. If you don't have or don't know how to use a test meter get a local electrician in, I would guess in less than an hour the cause of your problem will be know and possibly rectified. Probably cost not much more than £30 or £40 depending upon how far away the electrician is based. 

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator: