Standby Generators

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilsandiford1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Had a friend of the family ask me about Standby generators, he's in an area that gets a lot of black outs.

He has a small 5kw genny there but wants it connecting up to the cu on a changeover switch. I tried a few suppliers for a switch but they don't seem to know what I'm talking about. Does anyone know of any particulars for one?

Also reading a few posts on here I'm aware that I need to install an earth rod near the genny. would this need connecting to the gen or by 16mm to the main earth bar?

Cheers.

change over switch

you will need to take an earth from genny to DB, along with live & neutral.

you will also need to install a rod at genny connected to earth

be aware that many small gennys are IT - you may have to make your own link between neutral and earth to get you a TNS supply

cheers for that, yeh not sure why suppliers got no idea, i asked for a changeover switch but they'd never heard of it. just monkeys at WF i suppose.

Is it ok to use a 63A switch when the main isolator is 80A? or do I need an 80A changeover instead?

you would need one that can take the load. if using the 63A one, supply would need changed to 63A fuse

another problem is you would have to turn off a number of circuits otherwise genny may be overloaded. so another option is to install a second board with essential circuits, and have change over switch only on that

another (more costly) option would be a 2NO2NC contactor, or 2x interlinked contactors, to auto change supply, and possibly switch off genny on mains return