Starting up.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i'm considering starting out by myself and wanted some advice really. I know it's not the best time to be starting out by yourself but if this il be as hard as it'll get it can only get easier!

I'm going to keep working for my employer but wanted to start doing work for myself evenings and weekends.

So i'll need a van and also need to get registered with one of the part p schemes.

I've been looking at leasing a van is it a good option? How does it work with regards to putting it against the business? Not sure which body to go with, i suppose the cheapest one as as long as i can notify does it really matter if it's Napit, NICEIC or any of the others.

Any other advice?

You appear to be going to spend a fair amount of money in setting up, in addition working 24/7 is not good for the soul, and will be a extremely hard life style.

Can I ask what amount of work you expect?

What is the competition like?

Have you any feedback from electricians in the area?

The Godfather

Hello,

I started up in January exactly the same as you. I went with ELECSA for my scam provider. I was only working evenings and weekends but am now working on Fridays as well after being laid off on a Friday by my regular company. I'm thinking the same, if I can get work now then when the world starts turning again should be able to get easily enough work to go full time. Regarding the van have a look on the starting up thread, some good links to tax websites or I expect someone on here will help you shortly. I think you can claim in 2 ways against tax - for a percentage of the costs of the van based on your private and business use or claim 40p per mile for all business use but nothing else so you need to work out whats best for you.

Hello Mercurystar welcome to the forum. As the Don says you seem to be taking a lot on. I personally would not get tied up with leasing a van. I have always brought my vans not usually new but that is what I prefer. If you lease a van that is a far bit of money to find each month and if it does not work out there probably would be some penalty clause which could cost a far bit but I am only guessing perhaps other members may know. Why not buy a cheap van to start and see how it goes. As for the part p this is also a big commitment. I take it you are an electrician.

Batty

I work pretty much every Saturday for my employer, this is optional. I finish at 4PM every day and earlier on Fridays so was going to do it after work.

I suppose it'll just be extra points here and there, kitchens and small extensions. I know quite a few local builders so was hoping to get in with them.

No-one ever seems to tell you they are struggling for work! Some of the people i see are flooded apparently. How true it is i don't know.

Set up costs will only be a van and registration, anything i'm missing?

Some good vehicles kicking about on Autotrader. Can get a decent looking Berlingo style van for less than 2k.

Why would i need to? I wouldn't be affecting my employer with anything that i do.
If you are employed then there maybe some terms in your contract that prohibits you from working without their permission.

Ian.

Why would i need to? I wouldn't be affecting my employer with anything that i do.
I agree with the other posters on this one.

If you do work that is related to your employers business and are seen to be in direct competition he could have grounds for instant dismissal.

He may even persist and say that you effectively stole work from him, by using his contacts or workbase for your own means. This could lead to court action and claimes for compensation and loss of earnings.

Very unlikely to happen but never the less possible.

Hello mercurystar,

as the others have said, if you are an employee working in a similar business or trade that could reasonable be considered to be in competition with that of your employer, This COULD be in contravention of your existing employment contract and can result in nasty big legal disputes! :(

If you are starting up a completely non connected business, legally there are normally NO objections e.g. employed as electrician, start own business decorating cakes. No grounds for dispute about customer base or stealing intellectual property from employer.

What about your TAX obligations advise IR that you are also working for yourself.

what about public liability insurance.

me brain is stopping now,,,,,

moor beerGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

To register with a Part P Scam provider you need to show them your Public Liability Insurance, Insulation tester,RCD tester, Loop impedance tester c/with calibration certs, among other things, all seems a bit odd as you are employed by someone else , and you will certainly be burning the candle at both ends.

You also need to register with HMRC for CIS tax if you are working for a builder as he will have to deduct 20% tax.

Deke

To register with a Part P Scam provider you need to show them your Public Liability Insurance, Insulation tester,RCD tester, Loop impedance tester c/with calibration certs, among other things, all seems a bit odd as you are employed by someone else , and you will certainly be burning the candle at both ends.You also need to register with HMRC for CIS tax if you are working for a builder as he will have to deduct 20% tax.

Deke
Good point Deke!Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Why didn't I think of that:| ?:| ? :| ?:|

oh yeh.....

beers starting to clogg me brain ...

Anything i do won't affect my employer as he's not in the public domain.

Why would the builder be deducting 20%? I won't be employed by him.

I would be advising the IR.

I was going to use my test kit from work, or i could get my own. Can't see why i couldn't use the works one if i can get hold of the callibration certificates. Or get it calibrated myself.