Starting up.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said you knew some local builders and were hoping to get in with them so I presumed they would be paying for your services , in which case they would be deducting 20% tax under the Construction Industry Scheme ( CIS)

The company you work for seem to be very easy going,supplying testers and calibration certs , but they will be in their name so you can't really present them to the Part P provider.

mercurystar999

It does appear you are trying to have your cake and eat it.

From the responses you've had so far, it does look increasing like you are going to abuse the trust of your employer.

My advice would be use your own resources for all your needs outside of your employers working hours.

The last thing you want is to lose your full time position and be forced into possibly going it alone (before being established).

Remember people do talk, what if your employer finds out?

(I'm trying not to be critical here, but advising caution)

Don

As others have said anything you do should not affect your relationship with your employer.

But as far as the tester goes it has always been my belief that all you have to have is ready access to test equipment and a calibration cert. After all it would be quite hard to prove u actually own the test equipment you are using.

All that said it is of course better you have your own, but i dont think it is a hard and fast requirement of the scheme provider.

I don't think you've understood that my employer will have little interest in what i do after work as they would have no interest in any of the work.

It would not conflict with anything that they do. I understand that you are just giving advice but if i thought that i'd be in any way abusing my employer i wouldn't be doing it as the way things are going out in the public domain, i wouldn't want to be relying on just what i could get by myself.

I may well get my own test kit, they seem to be going for peanuts on ebay, as are vans. Spoke to my wifes best friend who is an accountant this evening.

She seems to think i'll end up paying 40% tax on anything i earn through this as i'm close to the threshold now with my employer. I wouldn't think i'd even break even in the first year with having to fork out so much though?

I don't think you've understood that my employer will have little interest in what i do after work as they would have no interest in any of the work.
The Godfather

I don't think you've understood that my employer will have little interest in what i do after work as they would have no interest in any of the work. It would not conflict with anything that they do. I understand that you are just giving advice but if i thought that i'd be in any way abusing my employer i wouldn't be doing it as the way things are going out in the public domain, i wouldn't want to be relying on just what i could get by myself.

I may well get my own test kit, they seem to be going for peanuts on ebay, as are vans. Spoke to my wifes best friend who is an accountant this evening.

She seems to think i'll end up paying 40% tax on anything i earn through this as i'm close to the threshold now with my employer. I wouldn't think i'd even break even in the first year with having to fork out so much though?
But if you work evening and weekends surely this could affect your performance in your full time job. I am not saying you should not do it but as others have said you may come unstuck if your employer where to find out what you are doing. I did what you did but was forced into it by the people I worked for but that is another story.

Batty

Its difficult working for an employer and working for yourself - I know I'm doing it. In my contract with my employer it states I'm not allowed another job, but I don't intend telling them and am hoping they don't find out - although they have no interests in domestic electrical work, or in comercial for that matter. I've also got some very good reasons for going behind their back if they do find out. I think if you are going to do this you need to have reasons ready incase they do object. I have meters and a van from my regular job but don't use any of them I keep the two completely seperate. It is hard work doing two jobs but it depends on your long term aims, I intend on doing this full time as soon as I'm regularly getting enough work and packing up my currently regular job. If thats your aim then I would say go for it and I hope it all works out for you, your certainly in the right place for some good advice!!

Anything i do won't affect my employer as he's not in the public domain. Why would the builder be deducting 20%? I won't be employed by him.

I would be advising the IR.

I was going to use my test kit from work, or i could get my own. Can't see why i couldn't use the works one if i can get hold of the calibration certificates. Or get it calibrated myself.
Hello again Mercury,

you do appear to have some contradictions in what you are saying and I would be very very careful about how you approach this venture.

1] There would seam to be some conflict or overlap of interests between your private work & your employer's work. As you admit that some items of test equipment are compatible between the two business ventures? :|

2] You refer to your test kit from work or getting your own? Any items of tools/equipment/transport etc.. that have to be handed back in the event of your employment being terminated, are NOT yours they are the employers.

To use such items for private gain would probably need some formal authorisation from your employer AND you could be liable for additional TAX payments for "benefits in kind" that you are gaining by not having to purchase those items yourself. (e.g. as with company cars or mobile phone provided by an employer, a

I think you will find in the eyes of the law, it is the employer who decides what areas of business they are interested in, not the employee's.

Although your perception may be quite correct, your opinion of what they may or may not be interested in, is irrelevant.

Have you checked the small print in your employment contract?

:^O Had to go and make a cup of tea for the rest of the family...

(who are just watching DVD's and other non-important stuff) :(

I have had promotion to "Teaboy"
The Don is amused.

The Godfather

I'm quite sure that anything that i do outside of my work, they will have little interest in.

I'll be getting my own meters as if theirs were to be stolen in my own van while i was using them outside of their work, they'd be less than impressed.

I don't think you've understood that my employer will have little interest in what i do after work as they would have no interest in any of the work. It would not conflict with anything that they do.
Y would it not conflict with anything ur employer would do.

Wht sort of work is he doing.

Y would he not wnt to take these jobs on in his areas.

If i was a boss i wouldnt like my employee taking business of me and use my equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you've understood that my employer will have little interest in what i do after work as they would have no interest in any of the work. It would not conflict with anything that they do. QUOTE]

Y would it not conflict with anything ur employer would do.

Wht sort of work is he doing.

Y would he not wnt to take these jobs on in his areas.

If i was a boss i wouldnt like my employee taking business of me and use my equipment.
My employer does not do work in the private sector. There would be no conflict of interests.