Supplementary Bonding Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TNCS is Deffo 10mm bondage incase of broken PEN conductor on the DNO side.

But with TT / TNS as long as it's in good condition and there are no signs of heat damage and readings are of less than <0.05ohms then it doesn't need to be upgraded as far as I know.

:)

why is supplementary bonding in the bathroom relevant to alterations to the ring and lighting circuit in the kitchen/lounge?

The BGB 132.16 says "..the earthing and bonding arrangements, if necessary for the protective measure applied for the safety of the addition or alteration, shall be adequate."

Looking at ADS (411), supplementary bonding is not mentioned as a requirement of the protective measure, it is an additional protection in a special location, not relevant to the kitchen.

But any extraneous-conductive-parts found on the property would need main equipotential bonding as in 411.3.1.2

I agree

If altering the kitchen i wouldnt worry about the bathroom. I would advise about the bonding,  and that a new consumer unit to RCD everything would make it all a lot safer, and not require the bonding.

If cost is an issue, just protect the circuits you are working on.

I'm not worrying about the bathroom, it was to see if the bonding in the kitchen needing replacing, or if the main bonding would be sufficient lol then the only regs I could find were to do with special locations and cost is the main reason I'm only changing the ring circuit to and RCBO

If it is "extraneous" then it needs proper bonding. Supplementary bonding is just that, it is not the same as "proper" bonding.. do the tests Andy told you about to see if they are extraneous first... If they are, then they need proper bonding back to the MET

Test between any simultaneously accessable exposed conductive parts too. There should be very little resistance between them as they should all be earthed by means of the supply CPC. In any case, the resistance between them must be such that the max voltage that could appear between then is 50V, This means, that in the case of circuits protected by a 30mA rcd, the resistance between them must be LESS than 1666 ohms.

Check between exposed bits or extraneous bits and anything else conductive, if the result is more than about 22 - 25 Kohms forget about them, if less, but NOT less than 1666 ohms, supplementary bond them.

john...

Latest posts