swa sizing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah 100mm insulation all round.im doing alot of the work with my old man.itll be better than the house he lives in!!calculated it needs 3000watts of heating to maintain 21 degrees
So you are unlikely to need extra heating than what you have allocated?

still cant see how you would get anywhere near 50A.. 11.5Kw

3kw heat... 0.5kw light.. even 4kw for extras 7.5kw = 33A tops! .

are you telling me to just use 6mm swa 90 deg and put it on a 32 CB?

because that would make it cheaper and easier to do.

i think ill ring him tomoz and ask for some detailed specsexactly for what he plans to put in there.

are you telling me to just use 6mm swa 90 deg and put it on a 32 CB?because that would make it cheaper and easier to do.

i think ill ring him tomoz and ask for some detailed specsexactly for what he plans to put in there.
Well obviously going overspec it will be electrically safe..

But personally if ain't needed why put in bigger stuff..

As my fist point 50A is nearly a whole house supply load for many a property around the country!

and if this is just ONE 23" X 11" room 50A just seems way over the top to me?

based on that assumption... most houses would need 250A+ of supply power!!

I may be wrong but from what you have said..

I can't see where all this extra power requirement is coming from?

IMO.. I would guess many kitchen/utility rooms in the average domestic home are using more power than your garage will be using? ?:| :|

Just take a step back in time..

when I were a lad..

the electric had 4 circuits...

30A ring

30A cooker

15A imm heat

5 amp light..

Our home had no Gas heating.. :(

(the night time storage heaters were mostly cold by the time I got back from school) :_|

and we had electric fires & fan heaters etc.. plugged in during some real winters when we had SNOW!!! :D

The whole house.. was on 30A ring & 5A lights...

& a 60amp main fuse most likely... cuz that was the rating of the main switch on the 4-way wylex box!

I would most certainly agree it is best to check on a realistic assessment of what actual appliances are likely to be used! ;) :)

Be careful with this job. I did one a while back, Kiln needed a 32 amp supply also could not be put through 30mA trip. I ended up putting in 100mA TD Rcd as main switch as MK did not do 300mA as recommended. Fortunately it has worked ok but I had not allowed for 30mA rcbo on sockets so lost out a bit.

Batty