Switching problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maselec

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I am currently wiring a 4 bed new build house and the customer has told me he wants the landing light to turn itself off as his kids are constantly leaving it on. No problem, I thought, I will put it on a time lagged switch, however he has now told me he also wants to be able to override it if he needs to keep the light on. Does anyone know of a product that does this? Would it need wiring in a conventional way? (as it is on the landing it is 2 way switching and he wants both positions to perform the same)

Any advice gratefully received.

A 4 bedroomed House ? No problem just tell him to instruct the butler or the maid to take care of the switching on and off of the lights ; \

Sorry bout that mate , only joking ! on a serious note though i dont think a time lag switch would be a good idea with kids running up and down the stairs and suddenly being plunged in to darkness, loonytoons suggestion of a motion sensor would be a better solution if some form automatic control has got to be installed, and overide would be no problem either

a1 Spark

Put a pir in and have it on for max time although it would be a good idea to have one up and down and have overide switch high level so only an adult can put it on. Alternatively you could have a momentary push switch which would then put light on for max pir time. Best solution would be put low energy lamps in.

Thanks for the advice everyone, managed to talk him into intermediate switch next to his bed, decorating to a high spec so didn't really want PIRs on show, keep it nice and simple! cheers