temporary installations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian

Reaction score
My son is a electrician in the armed forces and is on a course designing temporary electrical installations for use in the field. This entails tents comprising of field kitchens, HQ, accommodation, ect ect powered using mobile generators up to 40KW

His lecture told him to use special location sections 704, 708, 711 & 740.

I have told him he can only use special location 740 (Temp Elect Installations for structures) and must not mix and match to suit. If you use a section it must be in its entirety.

Am i right or wrong?

740 would be the most suitable, but you can still use parts of others. i.e is part of it has a shower, then that part will be done to 701.

also try looking for BS7909 - temp power for entertainment

Thanks Andy but he would have to apply 701 to the area of the shower and not just bits of 701 as he feel fit

this is an example of one of the regs the lecture says apply 708.553.1.9 socket outlets height 0.5 meters 1.5 meters there is no mention of this in 740.55.7 so which one would you apply

Thanks Andy but he would have to apply 701 to the area of the shower and not just bits of 701 as he feel fitthis is an example of one of the regs the lecture says apply 708.553.1.9 socket outlets height 0.5 meters 1.5 meters there is no mention of this in 740.55.7 so which one would you apply
No reason why you could not apply both.

Section 708 is for installations where the infrastructure is permenent, but the caravans and tents may be temporary.

Section 740 is for where the whole installation is temporary, generally expected to be in place for a week or two.

Army camps can be temporary, permanent or something in between.

Black Eagle camp in the Falklands has been there since 1982, it started out as tent city, and is now brick and concrete.

The camps in Afganistan are intended to be temporary, but some have permenant structures, one encompasses the existing civil airport.

Thanks Andy but he would have to apply 701 to the area of the shower and not just bits of 701 as he feel fitthis is an example of one of the regs the lecture says apply 708.553.1.9 socket outlets height 0.5 meters 1.5 meters there is no mention of this in 740.55.7 so which one would you apply
Well 708.553.1.9 is the location of the power outlet for "LEISURE VEHICLES" and / or "TENTS" on a caravan park, it also states it should also be within 20m of the pitch.

Pop back a bit to 708.530.3

It actually starts off detailing that it refers to Caravan pitch electrical supply....

Not sure any of this is applicable in any way to:-

"tents comprising of field kitchens, HQ, accommodation, etc powered using mobile generators up to 40KW"
IMHO 708 Caravan parks is purely related to power supplies for temporary leisure accomodation... NOT semi-permanent military accommodation?

:|

That is notwithstanding the opening sections on scope of BS7671 pages 12 & 13. Are armed forces installations covered by BS7671 anyway?? ?:| :| ?:| ? :|

This may sound daft but would BS7671 actually applicable to a tented tempoary military camp.

The MOD are a law unto themselves.

This may sound daft but would BS7671 actually applicable to a tented tempoary military camp. The MOD are a law unto themselves.
:) :Applaud

Tis what I was thinking as well...

prev post..?

That is notwithstanding the opening sections on scope of BS7671 pages 12 & 13. Are armed forces installations covered by BS7671 anyway??

There is a specific MOD wiring standard, I do have a copy of a version somewhere, but it would be better obtained from the OP's son's CO to ensure it is the most up to date version.

HTH

Hi all, I'm the son in question, just joined the forum and would like to say thank you to all that replied.

In the RAF we us the 17th edition as a guideline to base our temporary electrical installations on and ALWAYS conform to it within the UK HOWEVER whilst abroad and where operational requirements, (at war, BOSS: get it fixed elec tech or we are in the ***) it is used as a guideline only, as long as the installation is safe and does the job it ok. From all of your comments, I have dismissed the teachers use of 704, 708, 711 and just make sure i conform to 740 and i apply a bit of common sense to the situation. Thank you again for for all you comments.

Hi all, I'm the son in question, just joined the forum and would like to say thank you to all that replied.In the RAF we us the 17th edition as a guideline to base our temporary electrical installations on and ALWAYS conform to it within the UK HOWEVER whilst abroad and where operational requirements, (at war, BOSS: get it fixed elec tech or we are in the ***) it is used as a guideline only, as long as the installation is safe and does the job it ok. From all of your comments, I have dismissed the teachers use of 704, 708, 711 and just make sure i conform to 740 and i apply a bit of common sense to the situation. Thank you again for for all you comments.
Keep us up to date with how you get on with the installations I for one would be very interested in your progress.

Also a very big hearted welcome to the forum, if posted over seas this is the fastest comunication with the rest of us here :)

Latest posts