test RCD for RCBO

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsonlyajob

Reaction score
testing spark tested RCD for RCBO at distribution board.
i normally test a point on the circuit.
who is correct

Strictly speaking you are only required to test the functionality of the RCD therefore testing on the outgoing terminals of RCD, however many then follow this with a field test for RCD.

you only need to test at the RCD, however its often easier to test at a point on the circuit, especially if its sockets. another major problem of testing at the RCD only is some faults & loads connected can interfere with the functionality oft he RCD, seen plenty that will fail a test (either trip times too long or doesnt trip) when tested on the circuit, but will pass at the terminals. some will say 'its suppsoed to be tested at the RCD/RCBO terminals so its good', but imo if it cannot pass in a real world fault then its faulty. after all, chances are, if you do get a shock, its not going to be at the RCBO terminals...

thank you all for your replies

@Andy: 100% agree with you, when i challenged the tester, the reply was the NICEIC assessor had told him that this was the correct method to test the RCD
With this knowledge would you accept the NICEIC certificate ?

thank you all for your replies

@Andy: 100% agree with you, when i challenged the tester, the reply was the NICEIC assessor had told him that this was the correct method to test the RCD
With this knowledge would you accept the NICEIC certificate ?

correct method by the book but not in reality. many assessors are just there to be jerks, and just like those who write the regs, lack a bit of real life experience