Tester choice.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each and to their own but Megger MFT1552 for me...........no need for the new (more expensive one) MFT1553 with blue tooth if you are not going to use it.

Does what it says on the tin and I find it user friendly. I think most sparks these days are a Megger or Fluke man.

I must say a rep was trying to push a Kewtech KT64 onto me at the time when I was purchasing the Megger and some of the features looked pretty good, however I have seen one quite recently in the flesh (a friend of mine had one) and I wasn't that impressed.

It was interesting to take the same pfc test with his Kewtech and my Megger. Lets just say the Kewtech was out just a tad and the more he tried the worse it got. The Megger was consistant every time.

My friend didn't seem to put his Kewtech away very carefully ........whilst muttering the words 'I'm gonna get myself one those Meggers'.

Have a good scout around for deals isswww usually have some?

http://isswww.co.uk/?gclid=CMK-05mDpJsCFcIWzAodUmpLBg

Good luck! ;)

College is on about selling their MFT KT61's off at 50 quid a piece if they get new ones over the summer, may have to go with that however i am strongly leaning towards a megger 1552 if i can get the money together.

Just of intrest but whats the ELFI test range on the 1552, couldnt find whether it had 2000ohm scale for TT systems.

College is on about selling their MFT KT61's off at 50 quid a piece if they get new ones over the summer, may have to go with that however i am strongly leaning towards a megger 1552 if i can get the money together.Just of intrest but whats the ELFI test range on the 1552, couldnt find whether it had 2000ohm scale for TT systems.
Here's a spec:

Megger Specification.jpg

I picked up my Megger 1553 from CEF (yes I know) on a good deal (about

The prices are variable because these meters are a ludicrously high markup item. You are effectively required by law to use them, so they can charge whatever they like.

If there was no legal requirement to buy them they would probably cost in the region of 100 to 200 quid.

I have to agree with bigclive on that.

I remember we made some very basic test gear when we were young uns.

If apprentices could make basic stuff how hard is it for these companies to make them?

Hey you could call it the 18th Edition loop tester? ..... :^O

I had megger for years and now have metrel 3101 which I think is a lot quicker. The megger kept breaking down and cost me a lot of money over the years.

I use the Metrel Instaltest 61557. It's really straight forward to use (it has to be for me to use it) and you can get it at a reasonable price. I got mine for

As a time served electrician with 25 years in the industry under my belt I spend most of my time working freelance for various companies. (Mainly so I can have loads of free time). When I'm working with other companies I use their supplied test gear to do any testing, so I've played with Meggers and Flukes and Robins etc. However, I'm now in a situation where a job I do on a "once a year" basis is now requiring me to get a full 17th edition tester.The use won't be high enough to consider getting a Megger (which I dislike anyway) or a Fluke, so I'm looking at other meters like the Di-Log 9083P.

I've seen mixed reviews of this meter, but I see a few of you use them. I was wondering what your opinion of them is after a period of use.

Another option might be to boost my existing arsenal of an old Robin insulation tester and a Megger RCD tester with a stand alone loop tester. The hideously named "socket and see" digital loop tester might be an option, but I'd like to know others opinions on it first.

Any thoughts?
senate are selling kewtech multi-testers 249 +vat, untill 31st of aug. or try ebay

The Fluke 1651 has been replaced by the 1651B. We just picked up a couple of old stock meters for 335 + VAT each - not a bad price. Worth checking out.

I have a Dilog 9083P and have used it for 3 months now with no problems. Excellent features and useability. Only downside is no neck strap so can be a little awkward when taking a Zs reading at a light fitting for example. I have used the Fluke 1653 and Megger 1552 and this is as good as they are IMO.

I have a Dilog 9083P and have used it for 3 months now with no problems. Excellent features and useability. Only downside is no neck strap so can be a little awkward when taking a Zs reading at a light fitting for example. I have used the Fluke 1653 and Megger 1552 and this is as good as they are IMO.
Good luck with it. The one I had went back after about 6 months faulty but give Di- log there due they did give me a refund.

Batty

If you only need your own tester once a year - why not hire one for the one job? Much cheaper - and choice of different testers. Type "multi function tester hire" into any search engine.