testing a light fitting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

I put up a light fitting which has a built-in transformer (don't think this has any bearing on my problem though). It was a simple swap with another light fitting.

Anyway, I was sure I felt a little shock from it, so to be certain I got my tester out and tested between a live source and the fitting - I got a 245v reading :eek: .

I assumed it was the fitting, so immediately took it down. Did a reading between line & neutral and got 245v - ok, then did one between neutral & earth (0v), then line & earth (245v). I'm now horribly confused and a bit concerned :(

Can someone please confirm or correct that this is wrong.

Many thanks.

the readings that you got are correct...

this is what u should get.....

L>N - 230v

L>E - 230v

N>E - 0v

the readings that you got are correct... this is what u should get.....

L>N - 230v

L>E - 230v

N>E - 0v
Ok, thanks for that, but I shouldn't be getting 245v between line and the actual fitting should I???

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that reading correct if the fitting is earthed?

L-E = 230v

Yeah the reading you got is correct i think as the casing for the light fitting is at earth potential so 240v difference between line and earth

was it damp...?

was it static?

was it a a funny rist promblem, some time i get a twing up my arm when i am working and it feels just like getting a belt,,, not sure if any one else gets this?

Thanks everyone. That makes sense M4tty.

Danny - it's this weird "octopus like" light fitting with loads of lights on the end of spokes! - maybe one of the lamp ends scratched me as they're those little G4 ones Blushing.

I think what also got me a bit panicked was the fact that when I put all the lamps in, only a few worked initially, then most of them started working.

I'll put it back up tomorrow and see what happens...

Hi Batty

It's a class II. The bracket which attaches to the ceiling had a small earthing cable attached to it, which I connected to the circuit cpc.

Natasha

was it a a funny rist promblem, some time i get a twing up my arm when i am working and it feels just like getting a belt,,, not sure if any one else gets this?
Yes, I do, makes you look a fool when you leap back from a dead cable when the customer's watching - none of them have ever mentioned it though - not to me anyway! ROTFWL

Yes, I do, makes you look a fool when you leap back from a dead cable when the customer's watching - none of them have ever mentioned it though - not to me anyway! ROTFWL
it makes you look even more of a fool when you shout at your mate " have you just turned the ****** thing on!!" just to find out its your spag rist! ROTFWL

Hi BattyIt's a class II. The bracket which attaches to the ceiling had a small earthing cable attached to it, which I connected to the circuit cpc.

Natasha
if it has an earth, it cant be class II!

the readings you get are normal.

Latest posts