Testing Idea For New Purchasing App

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Essex1 - yeah, I think when we were thinking about the being able to select materials to send to specific suppliers, we thought you could still maintain the relationship. But understand now how it takes away the richness/complexity of the relationship.

It would be amazing to get live stock availability for you guys. The issue is that the systems that the suppliers use are so antiquated it's really hard to get accurate availability. My understanding is that even the big guys who say that they have things in stock on their apps aren't doing it based on actual counts, but on just having certain items in stock generally and having that as the default in the system.

Any thoughts on how to get availability, without having the suppliers have to reinstall new systems entirely. What if there was a WhatsApp like chat system, and you had all the suppliers as contacts. And rather than phoning around, you could just message the X number of suppliers you normally deal with and ask if they have it in stock. And for simple things - e.g., confirming orders, confirming pick ups etc, you can communicate with your suppliers through chat. And still call them when things are more complicated. Would that be helpful?

It looks to me as though you are trying to create a problem that will fit your perceived solution. Rather than you have encountered a genuine problem that you are looking to solve. Most suppliers who already offer on line ordering either for delivery or click and collect generally have accurate live stock quantities. Some of the combined DIY/Wholesale outlets such as Screwfix & Toolstation can even tell you stock in their local branches, not just their on-line delivery stock.  There is still the fundamental concept that one person can only deal with one enquiry at a time. So unless it is an automated system that can reply to all these quote enquires you will probably be still waiting just as long for the sales assistant to respond to your WhatssApp. I can't recall many times that I have made an on line order that was quoted as been in stock that subsequently turned out not to be. It is generally highlighted when placing the order, such as dispatch within 3-5 working days rather than next day. A lot of wholesalers have variable costs depending upon the type of customer your are, Cash, Account, Frequent, Occasional. It is not a one size fits all price structure for each stock item. And whichever way you look at it adding another link into a chain will always add a further delay and potential for errors. Larger companies employ their own purchasing staff for this sort of work, smaller businesses get to know their most reliable wholesalers and work with them. If I don't want to ring someone then I have been able to type an email list of stock I want, copy it to a handful of local suppliers for many years now. Those that have the time and want the business send a reply that can be evaluated. How would using WhatsApp speed this process up. The problem was solved a long time ago that you are trying to solve..  

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Essex1 - yeah, I think when we were thinking about the being able to select materials to send to specific suppliers, we thought you could still maintain the relationship. But understand now how it takes away the richness/complexity of the relationship.

It would be amazing to get live stock availability for you guys. The issue is that the systems that the suppliers use are so antiquated it's really hard to get accurate availability. My understanding is that even the big guys who say that they have things in stock on their apps aren't doing it based on actual counts, but on just having certain items in stock generally and having that as the default in the system.

Any thoughts on how to get availability, without having the suppliers have to reinstall new systems entirely. What if there was a WhatsApp like chat system, and you had all the suppliers as contacts. And rather than phoning around, you could just message the X number of suppliers you normally deal with and ask if they have it in stock. And for simple things - e.g., confirming orders, confirming pick ups etc, you can communicate with your suppliers through chat. And still call them when things are more complicated. Would that be helpful?
But we can already do that via e-mail, text or what's app. Why do we need another communication method?

It will never work. Wholesalers prices vary dependant on the customer. When asked for a best price from a stranger a regular will still be sold it cheaper.
yep, totally agree,

some stuff I can buy cheaper than a guy I work along with on occasion, other stuff he gets better than me,

and, vice versa with a different wholesaler,

I really cant see anything other than has already been said,

ring them up, speak to someone you probably already know from the counter, and even better, he probably knows you, so if they dont have that actual item, will perhaps be able to recommend an alternative when he asks you its actual purpose,

had this very thing the other day, they didnt have one of the items I needed, never mind, was wandering around the back with him picking other stuff when I spotted an alternative, we checked its IP rating, and BINGO, it was suitable, not exactly what I needed, but, more than adequate for the job it was required to do.

IMHO, apps like this, etc, only really work for

1 straightforward purchases, ie, bananas cannot be replaced by a lettuce, [no matter what some supermarket delivery folks may say]

2 diyers who dont really know what they want anyway and only want a cheap price

3 people who done a short course and think this sort of thing impresses a client, see 2 above,

4 people who like gimmicky things, see 3 above

Hi everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to write such thoughtful responses! Really appreciate it. If there is something you'd like to see, please just feel free to send me a PM - we can always build stuff for free in exchange for your guidance.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

How about an app where trades people can rate housholds.

So for example i get a call from Mr Smith 42 credibility street.   I look up the address and check other reviews.   Plumber: he is a tight old git who moaned about everything and took ages to pay.      Electrician: Moaning old fart that pays late.

I decide to give that one a miss.

Mrs Jones calls from 69 pleasure gardens,     Plumber: nice bangers and i got a bacon sandwich.   Gardener:my best customer.

I go look at Mrs Jones job and forget about Mr Smith