testing with cheap multimeter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im currently studying at college & trying to get some practice whilst at home.

Ive got a practice board on my cellar wall & have been wiring various lighting & power circuits.

I now want to test these circuits for continuity, insulation resistance etc.

What sort of testing is possible on the cheap multimeters like this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-60792-Digital-Multimeter-Backlight/dp/B0001K9XKW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Im just wanting something to get some practice with, rather than spending loads of money on a decent tester.

any advice,

cheers

any multimeter will be able to give you ohm readings, and would be adequate for home learning, but in the real world it wont comply (must be 200mA current on continuity)

for IR testing, much less suitable - you need to test at 500v (or 250 in some cases). your multimeter cant do that, and at the voltage it tests, it wont give you accurate readings.

but if you wanted to add some resistors into the circuit to create insulation breakdowns etc, then it would most likely be suitable to give you and ohm reading, and may be of some use. just remember thats it will different in the real world, and it could confuse learning a different method at home

A cheap multimeter probably wouldn't read low enough values for some of the continuity tests. That is it only has accuracy to one decimal place, compared to two decimal places on the more expensive meters.

Doc H.