The demise of the professional electrician?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question please

Im an Electricians mate (Electrical Labourer)on my JIB Card ive done my level 2 & 3 at college and by the end of the month will have been working for 3 years Oct 2007 Still have to do my NVQ level 3. Im on &

Quick question pleaseIm an Electricians mate (Electrical Labourer)on my JIB Card ive done my level 2 & 3 at college and by the end of the month will have been working for 3 years Oct 2007 Still have to do my NVQ level 3. Im on &

Thanks but the rates on the JIB Link are for Apprentices im a Electrical Labourer on my card so i dont know.

on that link:

January 2010 Stage 3 own transport

Sorry mate I was looking at the wrong page cheers

Wages 2010 London Rate Labourer (own transport)

in the current climate a lot of people are underpaid, its a sad fact of life that some cowboy subbies are working for peanuts and doing a carp job just to get a wage of sorts so the rest of us are getting shafted.

Im in the exact same boat, but I know our company is in dire finances and have had a word with the MDs about this and we have reached a decent compromise over my wages where I get some grip alongside my basic and bonuses.

yeah its bad we have had our hours cut in 2008 but not to be big headed i am a good worker always in and on time never argue or **** people off someone worth having ive paid alot of money to put my self through college .some people just take the **** dont do much work always on the phone cigarette breaks and to have other mates proberly on more and apprentices nearly overtaking me on hourly rates ****s me right off. Ill just hold out and see what happens anyway so thanks for the replys mate.

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all who have read this post so far and especially those that have responded.

I'm going to start a new thread which is basically a spin off from this one.

Cheers,

Dave

From the other point of view.Plenty of people here that have done the 5 day course, the one year course etc.

We all know that what we lack is experience,

BUTT

No where to get it, anyone out there offerring an apprentiship.

Let alone an adult apperentiship.

Personnaly I will work for peanuts to get some experience, but I can't give my service away for free.

So dont complain about a decline in standards when you are not prepared to stand up and offer the means for the standards you want to see to be achived.

Rant over:)
been thinking the same thing when i was calling up SE electricians and big companies but it seems like not many want to take a chanse on an aprentice/trainee even tho they do have some qualifications... what to do.. what to do.. :|

No offence intended here, okay guys?

Just because yours is the last post, Oktay, I`m going to use your post as an example, if you don`t mind? Thanks.

IF I was to recieve a letter from you, asking for work, chances are I wouldn`t even respond. Would you like to know why?

The forum has "spell checking", a BIG part of the job involves paperwork and intelligence, and you need to come across to a potential employer as a "switched-on" sort of guy. But you don`t spell-check, use punctuation or capitals etc. ; when, as a group, those of you touting for a placement need to be promoting yourselves as well as you can.

I am not "having a dig" at anyone - I am simply explaining my (and many other employers`) mindset when looking at applications from apprentices and trainees.

Fully 75% of the applications I recieve (letters / C.V / email) are, to some extent, poorly constructed - If the first impression someone gets of you is negative, you`ve lost your chance before you start.

I`ll finish as I started - this is not intended as criticism or offence to anyone - purely advice on why you may have problems getting placements / apprenticeships.

KME

Quick question pleaseIm an Electricians mate (Electrical Labourer)on my JIB Card ive done my level 2 & 3 at college and by the end of the month will have been working for 3 years Oct 2007 Still have to do my NVQ level 3. Im on &

Yeah thanks for the advice no offence but living in London is expensive so you may get

Latest posts