The Long Run..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extension15

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Called out to quote on a Cooker (oven only 2KW) circuit, plus Utility socket and outside light.

The property is Victorian, so incoming at front, Kitchen at rear (2 rooms away).

The side entry is on the same side as the incoming mains.. :p

It's TN-S with a 35 year old fuse board (Ceramic fuses), there is no main bonding... :eek:

Routing the cables inside is a no-no (fine by me).

It is a 14 metre run to the Kitchen & Utility, as I don't use capping outside unless I really have to (hate the stuff), I intend to use 25mm plastic conduit.

As the fuseboard is a no-no, I will fit a mini CU with RCD:D

The Gas is adjacent, so no issues there, the stop tap is in the Kitchen, so:

2.5mm T&E to the Utility socket (just 1 double required).

10mm main bond to the water.

2.5mm T&E to the Oven (double socket).

Everyone happy with that?

It won't be possible to run 6mm/2.5mm/10mm in 25 mm conduit togethor, so anyone disagree?

:|

Connect a service connector to a seperate board, if you have to go outside in conduit (it will look ****e) thats my opinion:) then use singles rather than twin and earth. Try 4mm on a radial rather than a ring for the cooker and 2.5 on a 20 amp for the socket.

Remember condensation does build up in plastic conduit, so I would suggest to drill 5mm holes to allow water to drain from the conduit and prevent premature ageing.

Well yes, I was intending to fit a sperate mini CU, as for the existing electrics, they are less than than to be desired..

As for singles, I've never run them in a domestic environment before (bonding & tails an exception), still theres always a first time..

Just the issue of runniing singles around the Kitchen... :D

singles in conduit is easier to pull through than T&E, no T&E sheath to go with it
Previous T&E experience tells me you are right..

Applaud Smiley

You can't run singles out of the conduit, don't forget. What about running trunking YT4 on the outside and sticking with T/E . If you are coming back entry to the cooker and the socket , can you dispense with the RCD ?

Deke

just think trunking looks bad on external walls.At least with conduit, you can make it look reasonable, if the wall is slightly uneven, you got no chance with trunking
I have to agree with this (there are obstacles, so the offset caused by the saddles will be a bonus)..

The ducting/drains etc in the property are Black, so Black conduit will blend in..

B-)

You won't get 2 X 2.5 T/E plus a 10mm G/Y in 25 mm conduit IMO Logging off to watch the vet bloke in Africa , bet you Apache,s watching it !!

Deke
:D ...................Actually I have, on one previous occasion....

:)

Just the issue of runniing singles around the Kitchen... :D
How about running singles to a connection box and running t&e out of the connection box and around for ur kitchen socket. Just a thought. :D