There may be trouble ahead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vladimir3000

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a few concerns you may be able to help with.

Im currently about to complete CG 2330 level 2.

Our tutor has said that next year (the level 3 course) may be pulled. If this is the case how can i finish the 2330?

I do a lot of extra study and also get plenty of work experience so if this happens, im considering just taking the 2391 and the 17 edition and missing out the end of the 2330 if i cant find another way to gain the qualification.

Any thoughts?

Complete it in another college?

Similar happened in a college in Swansea. A select few had to find other colleges to to complete their 2330 (Level 3) and several of them joined our group to do so.

A friend of mines son was doing a 2 year motorcycle mechanics course.

The course was stopped after he completed the first year, as there weren't enough pupils to make the 2nd year cost effective.

I don't think he completed the course, as the nearest venue was to far away.

Complete it in another college?Similar happened in a college in Swansea. A select few had to find other colleges to to complete their 2330 (Level 3) and several of them joined our group to do so.
He wont be able it getting pulled across the country full stop i've heard, it's being replaced with one that unless you are working in the electrical game you will not be allowed on it like the old apprenticeship way

Surely they will just be not accepting new entrys and they will finish the current level2 to level3? Otherwise that seems quite DUMB.

That is Exactly what colleges/City & Guilds are doing.

The new 2330 only applies to new enrolements.

I discussed this with my lecturer , as 2330 is being replaced , I was told even tho 2330 was being canceled they would still have to run 2330 part 3 for those that had completed part 2 or you would be able to go on to do the part 3 of the new course if there is one, but was assured that we wouldnt be left high and dry so to speak.

I asked about this at college on wednesday and my tutor assured me the same, that anyone currently on the 2330 will be able to go on and finish the level 3 . New enrollments will be doing the new course which he was saying will be the 2330 and the nvq combined, so you will have to be in the trade to do it.

He also said the entire course will be level 3 and will be going from 700 guided hours learning for the 2330 down to 400 hours for the new course (i think he said it would be the 2356)

heard the same thing at college

in a way its good, the amount of people on my course who came and went within the first 2 months was unbelievable,one guy attended 1 class and we never heard back from him

my class is down to offically 11 but i would really say 9 cause we have 2 other guys whos attendence have more holes than swiss cheese, the only reason they are still here and not dropped is because they chanced there exams and seem to still pass (its gola after all) !!! no way they gonna be taken on level 3

the bad thing with the new course is someone who wants to get a foot in the trade but arent employed are seriously screwed

its hard enough now, myself i still seeking experience since last year...zilch

lucky i'm on the course now, for all the other people in this time of recession who are looking to change careers they can cross becoming electrician out of the list

Heard another one it is not just he electrical industry that it will be applying to but all trades as there are lots of people with the qualifications but don't have any work experiance lookiing for jobs.

The people behind all these radical changes to electrical training are SUMMIT SKILLS - the people who run the Skill build competitions for various trades. They seem to have completely 'shafted' the industry (as expressed by contributors to the C&G discussion forums). It is quite clear that the new qualifications led by Summit Skills are designed to facilitate becoming an electrician by apprenticeship ONLY. There is no recognition of the needs of those who wish to get into the trade either as an adult 're-trainer' or by 16-19yr olds wishing to improve their chances of getting an apprenticeship.

The course option being given by C&G are

Building Services Engineering (BSE) 2000 which is a level one course with electrical, plumbing, H&V and refrigeration. (for school leavers).

C&G 2357 replaces the 2330 (tech Cert) and 2356 (NVQ) and is at level three. There seems to be no acceptance of 2330 quals toward it and would need to be taken in entirety - only by those who are apprentices.

For adults there is nothing available - except the possibility of an advanced domestic installer later on.

2330 levels 2 and 3 have last registration dates of December this year.

All of these drastic changes to the industry have come about very late in the academic year, particularly bearing in mind the sweeping changes. This and an election year??????

BTEC Adv Diploma in electrical installation is a Edexcel qualification, it is distance learning offered at the moment through ICS.... not conventional, but the course content is definately up there.

At the current moment C&G 2330 is no the only qualification that you can do. If you notice the requirements to become an electrician say that a "Technical Certificate" is required. Now that could be C&G 2330 or any other equivalent, like the BTEC adv dip in Electrical installation.

We have been informed at our college of the changes to the 2330 , as I attend college two evenings a week part time .

We are supposed to start the 2330 level 3 in Feb of next year , but because of the changes this may not happen.

Which may mean we start level 3 in September 2011!

This is all up in the air and our tutors are non the wiser. I will be contacting C&G to find out more if I 'm able to .

Any thoughts on this

any more updates regarding the 2330,

I complete level 2 this summer, hope level 3 is not pushed to feb 2011 or worse sep 2011,

as much as i love the course it has put my life on hold for the duration

i'd rather get it out the way asap plus whilst the stuff i've learnt is still freash in my mind.

DO not allow the Level three course to be postponed to September 2011 - the very last registration date to get on it is December 2010 (this year!!!).

At my college there is talk of accelerating people through level two in order to make sure they are on level 3 before Xmas or even by July. There is also a possible problem with funding - that whichever government agency contributes the supplement is pulling the plug for the course so it may also cost more.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - do not be fobbed off - as (at present) there is no direct credit or recognition for 2330 L2 on to the replacement qualification.

I would advise you ask the awkward questions - in letter to the principal so that you have evidence and someone to account for it, if you are then unable to get the Level 3. Best of luck. Miggy

Miggy,

The people responsible for this are the government and Sumit Skills. The colleges are not provided with the full information yet which probably explains why people are given different answers. I believe that if students enrol before the end of July that the colleges will be funded for students, but nobody from any bodies outside the colleges will confirm this. Rather than complain to the college principals who at the moment know little more than you do, let's all complain to the secretary of state for allowing this ridiculous situation to arise

hi all

not long joined so my first post,like most i am on the c&g2330 level 2 and hoping to progress onwards, a bit worried because of this new c&g 2357 thats being bandied around and what it supposed to mean to most of us.

i have asked the c&g questions about the 2357,like

when it starts

when the 2330 ends

what happens to us part way through 2330

what about if you are not in the job

if 2330 quals carry over

had this reply back to day

Dear Desmond Thank you for your email. In regards to your query there is no such qualification as the 2357. I can inform you that the 2330 is not going to end in the near future. Yours sincerely Justin JulesCustomer RelationsCity & Guilds1 Giltspur StreetLondonEC1A 9DD

lets wait and see

des

Thanks Des,

And Welcome to the forum. It's good to have you on-board.

:D

I spoke to my tutor again last night and asked what happens to those who complete the 2330 and aren't registered for the NVQ. He assured me that we wouldn't have to sit the entire 2357, and we'd just be filling in the blanks so to speak.

He also mentioned to the class that he's trying to bring the registration for level 3 forward to July as after this time there may be no funding and prices may go through the roof.

hi again

just had another e-m from c&g about the 2357

their prev one was.

Dear Desmond Thank you for your email. In regards to your query there is no such qualification as the 2357. I can inform you that the 2330 is not going to end in the near future. Yours sincerely Justin JulesCustomer RelationsCity & Guilds1 Giltspur StreetLondonEC1A 9DD

thier new one is.

Dear Desmond I have checked on the City & Guilds website and located the qualification 2357, please find a direct link to the qualification information http://www.cityandguilds.com/44902.html?search_term=2357 I hope this information is of help to you. Thank you for your enquiry. Yours sincerely Leonie DalsanCustomer RelationsCity & Guilds1 Giltspur StreetLondonEC1A 9DD

oh well like i said we'll see

hope this helps all

des

Latest posts