Thinking of installing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theskid

Reaction score
Hi I’m a time served electrician,currently near the end of my career,and currently an electrical maintenance engineer at a hospital
for the last 10 years
i came from the contracting game ,and have 30 plus years experience in that,and got to the point where I was a Niceic q.s at 2 different companies
At one of those companies they did start solar p.v installations, but only the boss took on the training and became mcs certifie,I actually installed a few where he would certify them at the end,as it was probably over 15 years ago and im just trying to get my head around the installation process(memory is fading a bit),I’m going to install my own due to the rising cost of electricity which I don’t see falling,as things never do once they rise,
I know about the two points of isolation and the labelling required,I just have a few questions
is there any places on the net to refresh the process ?
where is best to purchase kits or individual items ?
As I’m not interested in putting back into the grid ,would I need some sort of switch/coupler at the mains to switch over from grid to solar,as I probably will go down the battery side of things,as I remember on installs it was just a circuit to the consumer unit,could I just do the same or are special meters required to do the switching from grid to solar?
Thanks for any help

My 2 tips

1. Make sure you install mesh around the panels to keep the pigeons out

2. Don’t put the OCPD for the inverter on a shared RCD
Thanks
But it’s the mains side I’m struggling with,2 sources at the same time is dangerous,no?
As I don’t have a smart meter
I suspect they isolate the grid automatically when they detect energy coming in from the inverter ,as it will communicate with it?
As I don’t have a smart meter ,would I need to manually isolate the grid source via a switch/2 pole isolator when using energy from my inverter/battery?or is it okay to have 2 sources on at the same time supplying my con.unit?
Could I get a smart meter installed at a later date if I install a isolator on my grid tails from the meter,and it will incorporate the solar pv automatically?
Thanks

Are you sure you know what you’re doing?
Yes I’m an electrician but have very little solar p.v install experience
As I mentioned it was my ex boss that had the mcs training and certified the installs
I never did the mains connection
I did the panel connecting and the inverters
But over 15 years ,probably 20 years when they first came out
I just want to know if it’s safe to have the two supply’s at once or is a smart meter needed ?
Thanks

I just want to know if it’s safe to have the two supply’s at once or is a smart meter needed ?
Thanks
Very safe as that's how it's designed to work. Inverters are 'grid tied' G99 compliant. Your can go off-grid but that's a whole different ball game, and frankly not viable for most people. Now, grid tied means your solar inverter monitors the grid voltage, and whether it's present ie you haven't had a power cut. It does this for 2 reasons, 1 it needs to know the grid voltage so that it can output a higher voltage, and 2, in the event of a power cut it will shut down the solar system as a safety measure for DNO workers.

So why the higher voltage? Like water at a higher level energy from the solar will flow first. Lets say your solar system is generating 3kw on a sunny day. If you are using 2kw at the time, it will supply the energy you are using and 1 kw will go out to the grid. If you are using 4kw, then 3kw will come from the solar and you will import 1kw from the grid to make up the shortfall.

Latest posts