three-floor hallway lighting conundrum!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bit old fashioned admittedly but it wouldn't be that complicated if the job is still at the design stage which it sounds like it is. Contactors might be a bit overkill but surely most good sparkys, even domestic ones can wire up a couple of D-series relays.....????

Why make it more complicated.......

It's a bit old fashioned admittedly but it wouldn't be that complicated if the job is still at the design stage which it sounds like it is. Contactors might be a bit overkill but surely most good sparkys, even domestic ones can wire up a couple of D-series relays.....????
Job is indeed still at design stage; no work has started yet. I'm just trying to get my head around what the possibilities are so i can spec it and then leave to my sparky to figure it out lol. So all suggestions welcome! :)

PS: I'm hoping to automate the lighting system as well, so will hopefully have a proper design with electrical wiring diagrams to give to the domestic installer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marvo,

I never mentioned "sparkys" I stated specifically & used the specific words, "domestic installers".

In the UK there is a WORLD of difference.

"Domestic Installers" will not have been taught such nuances, and unless they bring prior knowledge to their job (note, I have NOT used the word "TRADE"), then it is doubtful that most will have ANY clue on how to design, a system correctly involving contactors and comply with BS7671 & other statute laws!
I get your point now, domestic installers are only a UK phenomenon and I didn't pick up on your exact wording first time round.

Why make it more complicated.......
It sounded like it was getting a bit messy with different switches not compatible with some grid plates. Relays could be designed that intermediate switches aren't required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Job is indeed still at design stage; no work has started yet. I'm just trying to get my head around what the possibilities are so i can spec it and then leave to my sparky to figure it out lol. So all suggestions welcome! :)

PS: I'm hoping to automate the lighting system as well, so will hopefully have a proper design with electrical wiring diagrams to give to the domestic installer.

If you're looking to automate it then look at which system you want and how that needs to be switched..

some you wire each group of lights back to a controller in regular cable and wire each switch back in Cat5.... It's a totally different ball game

if you are going down the home automation route then start from that point by deciding which system you want (avoid Lutron it's lettuced). The wiring can be wireless with some makes, but mostly involves using cat6/7 to the light switches and cabling the individual lights to a central control box, which is a totally different installation to 'normal' cabling. You could argue it's an expensive form of relays.....

We are currently working on a new build posh house, normally we would have installed 5 maybe 6 lighting circuits, but we are using Loxone home auotmation system, so it has worked out as 46 light circuits - lots of cables!

Then you won't need standard plate switches if you're installing automation from new, you'll need the appropriate plates to the system you are having installed.

i'd strongly recommend using an electrician instead of a domestic installer, assuming you don't want the house to burn down 

Although i'd like to, i may not be able to afford to fully automate the lighting. So it may have to be a mixture of automated and non-automated. I'll just have to see what the quotations are like.

Thanks to everyone for your advice; i really appreciate it and have learned a lot!

Although i'd like to, i may not be able to afford to fully automate the lighting. So it may have to be a mixture of automated and non-automated. I'll just have to see what the quotations are like.

Thanks to everyone for your advice; i really appreciate it and have learned a lot!

Unless YOU state what the specification clearly, you will not be able to compare the prices you get!

automation works best as a 'complete package' half baked systems are just that, half baked. Better off without it under that scenario in my opinion. 
Yes, i tend to agree; but cost may be prohibitive. One company suggested a wireless solution, so that it is easy to add additional rooms in the future as required. However, i'm not totally convinced by wireless solutions!