ticking over?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshgit

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's real quiet here. I am getting as few as 1 call a fortnight so am finishing silly little half day jobs for friends around the village for a little more than mates rates.

I am seriously considering finishing the business and looking for employed work elsewhere.

I am told repetedly by other trades to hold it out as this happened years ago and it got better then. But to be honest I didn't have a mortgage or kids then so it didn't bother me at all.

I am already in line to take up a position in my local post office sorting warehouse over christmas and have looked at a few apprentice jobs with some electricity providers.

I have tried the agencies and they are quiet. I feel bad as I have had a few calls this week from people looking for work, I can hardly employ myself!

I s anybody else finding it as hard?

Welshgit

p.s. sorry I sound glum but I can only take so much day time TV, I need to be out not just for the money but for my sanity.

Hi Welshgit, not much happening in Brum either, just about ticking over myself. My regular builders have nothing after the current job, but they're looking at 8 weeks work.

A lot can happen in 8 weeks, the phone might ring . Not many one man sparks get a job lasting 8 weeks !!

The sparks who works with me often, is helping a chippy replace garage doors this week.

Take the sorting office job and see what the new year brings. None of us have experienced a financial cock-up like this before !1

Cymru am byth heb so n am Lloegr

exactly the same here in blackburn, every1 i speak to is either sat at home or just ticking over, i think it will get worse before it gets better.

Im just ticking over but i think pritty much everyone is.

If you can i would stick it out as once things pick up again i think the ones who didnt give it up will have plenty of work...I was in the same position as you a few weeks back and was going to apply for jobs but not many are taking on, infact its the opposite.

It will pick up soon fingers crossed

You chaps have my sympathies. We were thinking of having an extension put on but are putting things on hold ATM. Just waiting to see what happens

Vets are quiet too :|

KME is busy :)

almost too busy.......

However - this is more down to commercial work, which must go on regardless.....

However, I do know what you`re feeling. Think I did about 15 hrs total paid work in August. I know its always a bad month, but there is bad, and there is bones of yer bum:(

fingers crossed for everybodyPray

Sorry to here you guys a really quiet.....

Things have been a bit slower.. but I am busy enough at the moment,

Still awaiting payment on a couple of jobs, around

4K outstanding + 1k materials

Debt collecting today

Kitchen company,opticians,3 rental companies

whats in the pipeline ?

quotes out for 2 new builds ,,,,,1 rewire ,,2 cu changes with extras

waiting on them

fishing next week then !!!

but i do have agencies wanting me to go on site as a sparky mate

nights though

Sorry to hear it guys.... :(

However as a 'public servant' I'm secure! Don't have any credit cards and apart from the morgage I don't owe anyone anything!

In fact, as I'm on a tracker morgage I'm paying out less and less as the interest rates go down..... Sorry....

Ther could be a posibility that by this time next year interest rates will be below 2%!

5 year fixed anyone? :^O

Ther could be a posibility that by this time next year interest rates will be below 2%!5 year fixed anyone? :^O
I'm 5 year fixed and exstatic. I know I can afford the repayments! If interest rates had gone up a few % i'd have been poor!

...but i do have agencies wanting me to go on site as a sparky mate

nights though
Brrrrr! That must be cold work. When I was young :z I did a stint as a carpenter's mate on London building sites - couldn't feel my thumbs even when bashing them with a hammer. Nowadays I'm grateful for a nice chair and warm office - still do thumb bashing on weekends, it's in the blood! :^O

KME is busy :) almost too busy.......

However - this is more down to commercial work, which must go on regardless.....

However, I do know what you`re feeling. Think I did about 15 hrs total paid work in August. I know its always a bad month, but there is bad, and there is bones of yer bum:(

fingers crossed for everybodyPray
:^OWe have some really weird sayings in Brum but :) Bones in yer Bum;) thats a new one but I like it Applaud Smiley

well phone rang yesterday and got another 2 week on now, escaped the no work situation again:D:D

chicken madrass and stellas on for at least the next 2 weeks:DGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Completed the secondfix of a new abloutions block, had a couple of small jobs in the pipeline but nothing major, got home to 5 messages on the phone

(1) Confirmation & go ahead to wire out a newbuild workshop.

(2) Acceptance of a quote for kitchen first/second fix.

(3) A go ahead to install spy cctv & dvr in a shop (fingers in the till)

(4) Quote needed for first/second fix on two storey extension + cu change

(5) Go ahead to install pir & lighting around house/garage.

So keep at it people there is work still out there.

Completed the secondfix of a new abloutions block, had a couple of small jobs in the pipeline but nothing major, got home to 5 messages on the phone(1) Confirmation & go ahead to wire out a newbuild workshop.

(2) Acceptance of a quote for kitchen first/second fix.

(3) A go ahead to install spy cctv & dvr in a shop (fingers in the till)

(4) Quote needed for first/second fix on two storey extension + cu change

(5) Go ahead to install pir & lighting around house/garage.

So keep at it people there is work still out there.
good to hear, il sink another few more stellas now:p

Well I'm about at a standstill as far the electrical side goes, but then I'm no longer in YP, and after a 3 month break start local advertising next week..

So who knows (or cares, because I've reached that point in my life.. :_| )

:^O

been ticking over for months odd jobs here and there.got a kitchen on at the moment to finish then start a 3 week garage conversion hopefully something else will appear before thats finished.last few months ive made barely enough to cover bills/mortgages.its got to get better soon, im about ready to give up, as are a lot of people.im dreading whats coming after christmas:O

been ticking over for months odd jobs here and there.got a kitchen on at the moment to finish then start a 3 week garage conversion hopefully something else will appear before thats finished.last few months ive made barely enough to cover bills/mortgages.its got to get better soon, im about ready to give up, as are a lot of people.im dreading whats coming after christmas:O
ye me 2, dreddin christmas as well gona be tight