Timeguard Surface mounted Presence Detector PDRS1500

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wams

Reaction score
IVe been asked by my local golf club to install a presence detector in the ladies locker rooms as they keep leaving the lights on. The secretary wants the simplest of work done, so I suggested installing an occupancy detector from the first light instead of replacing the switch with a presence detector switch but the current switch is a combined switch and Em light test switch.

the current light arrangement is t&e so after confirming that I paid Edmundsons Electrical a visit and he recommended the Titled detector. But the detectors instructions have 2 wiring scenarios, standard connection using 4 core mains cable and the 2nd scenario switching dc loads using 3 core.

I called Timeguards help line and they said I could use 3 core 1.5mm flex. 

Im a bit concerned that Edmundsons and Timeguard are telling me different things, different to what the instructions say.

So I thought I would ask you guys. Can I use the current t&e arrangement or do I have to install 4 core from the mains panel, as it would be a nightmare of a job and that's one thing the secretary doesn't want. Plus I want to know if it will work before I start fixing the sensor to the ceiling and knock out the knock out and wire it and then it doesn't work.

i just want to make sure I can get my money back

wams

Would 4core mains cable be 3core + earth core= 4core? Permanent live, switched live, neutral and Earth? 

Can you make the current switch into an emergency test switch only, then tap off the first/nearest light to door in the locker room for the occupancy sensor to be connected? 

Oh and happy birthday for the 28/9 :)  

I'd get an electrician in as it sounds like it is a bit beyond your skills, especially as it is in a public place.

You know full well that is not me being grumpy!

Point still stands though, works in a public place where the public are involved is not somewhere for someone unskilled to "have a go at it".

Would 4core mains cable be 3core + earth core= 4core? Permanent live, switched live, neutral and Earth? 

Can you make the current switch into an emergency test switch only, then tap off the first/nearest light to door in the locker room for the occupancy sensor to be connected? 

Oh and happy birthday for the 28/9 :)  
Yes 3 core & E.

that was my original plan to replace the combi switch for EM light test switch and tap off nearest light

You know full well that is not me being grumpy!

Point still stands though, works in a public place where the public are involved is not somewhere for someone unskilled to "have a go at it".
The public will be informed there's work in progress in the ladies locker rooms, notices, signs and barriers. We don't have many lady golfers and the locker room is pretty small, there won't be many ladies all week but if still took precautions.

and for your information, lighting has been my weakest point and that's why I asked you all. We all have a weak point.

The public will be informed there's work in progress in the ladies locker rooms, notices, signs and barriers. We don't have many lady golfers and the locker room is pretty small, there won't be many ladies all week but if still took precautions.

What I meant was, if the works are on a public building then it should really be done by an electrician, not the club secretary's mate.

Latest posts