to bond or not

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robj63

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help

I have recently taken up electrical course to hopefully become Domestic installer. since i started im forever looking round my house for faults/ problems etc

I have TNCS SYSTEM there is no MET and the main earth is bonded directly to the gas pipe

also there is no earthing to mains water, im not sure if the supply to the house is plastic or not but everything inside is copper, any suggestiuons there?

Hope ive explained this clearly enough

]many thanks Rob

maybe i havnt got the correct terms, but i mean there is a 16mm earth from the supply and instead of connected to a MET its connected directly to the mains gas pipe

what about the bonding to the water pipe? if i find the main supply is plastic? what would you suggest? ( all internal water pipes are copper) with a couple of plastic push fittings in the bathroom when rercent work was done

A couple of pictures would be nice.

But I should think you have from the suppliers service hed, one 16mm off to the cu & another off to the gas/water. A common practice in houses round my way.

The MET can be in the cu (not always an earth block by the cutout).

The main earth as you call it, would be the Main Earth Conductor (MEC) denoting it is directly connected to the suppliers means of earthing.

If you have no equi bonding to water put some in if required.

Good luck with the course.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

[quote name='Andy

Strange really when I did my training water pipes were bonded if they were metal no talk of extraneous just the fact they could carry 240 Volts how things change.