Todays Find

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Customer rang to ask if I would second fix a rewire as their original electrician has disappeared.

Said yep no problem, but I will have to carry out a full inspection of the wiring before agreeing to take it on.

Turned up today to inspect. Everything looks good. Cables in zones, grommets fitted, IR tests all OK.

Went to check the mains, as cables were just on floor outside of cupboard.

Previous electrician not been on site since September 2023.

It was powered up running 2 temp sockets. I pulled the fuse. Can anyone spot the problem ?

Attachments

• 20240606_094733.jpg
    20240606_094733.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Pays by direct debit which they dropped in November, but have increased again in May ?????????? 🤦
Good old estimated bills. If you walked into a restaurant and they overcharged you for what they think you might eat and drink, there would be an uproar. Yet we allow utility companies to take £millions from us so they can earn interest on our money. Always reminds me of that Father Ted episode " the money was just resting in my account' 😀

Good old estimated bills. If you walked into a restaurant and they overcharged you for what they think you might eat and drink, there would be an uproar. Yet we allow utility companies to take £millions from us so they can earn interest on our money. Always reminds me of that Father Ted episode " the money was just resting in my account' 😀
Personally I would be happy for my bills to be constant around the year, that is pay 1/12 of annual cost every month.
In practice EDF insist on refunding my surplus and dropping the payments in autumn, only to raise the payments again in the middle of winter. It's as though they don't understand seasonal variation in consumption.

Personally I would be happy for my bills to be constant around the year, that is pay 1/12 of annual cost every month.
In practice EDF insist on refunding my surplus and dropping the payments in autumn, only to raise the payments again in the middle of winter. It's as though they don't understand seasonal variation in consumption.
Switch to a sensible supplier like Octopus and you can do just that. YOU can set your monthly amount on line.

If you want a referal code to get £50 credit when you switch, PM me.

Switch to a sensible supplier like Octopus and you can do just that. YOU can set your monthly amount on line.

If you want a referal code to get £50 credit when you switch, PM me.
I can't at the moment as I've tied myself into a fixed price agreement which has exit penalties. Thanks for the offer though.

Some people like to budget in the same way you do, some people don't, like me 😀. They keep trying to put our bills up, despite using less, which gets really annoying. We had a credit of several hundred pounds at one time, more than the bill, then they tried to tell us we hadn't paid....

Some people like to budget in the same way you do, some people don't, like me 😀. They keep trying to put our bills up, despite using less, which gets really annoying. We had a credit of several hundred pounds at one time, more than the bill, then they tried to tell us we hadn't paid....

With all commodities I consume/purchase, I prefer to pay for what I have actually used, as and when I use it.. and keep any surplus in my bank account rather than building credit in a suppliers bank account, pending any of my future estimated usage/consumption....

Why do energy/utility companies assume that all consumers want to give them credit for un-purchased fuel? Tesco/Sainsbury/Asda/Aldi/Lidl/Morrison/etc.. never ask me to pay for next week/months probable food bill??

'Pay-as-you-use' works good for me with food purchase, clothes purchase, car fuel purchase, mobile phone charges, trade suppliers accounts for materials used, HMRC costs/charges, personal leisure interests clubs/activities etc.. Holiday accommodation, etc.. etc..

Last edited:

Latest posts