Todays job

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brazia1986

Reaction score
Hey peeps

My Missus broke Socket Outlet, so thought il get some jobs done round house so undo socket face bam 1.5 cable. o so fort il investigate further.....

Breaker 32amp mmmm house was rewired year ago..so Take cover of C/U Wat the Joker has done return feed on R/M in 1.5 T&E And c/u a mess..

32A on 1.5 ,lets turn that of then......living room on 2 diff ring and kitchen on 2 aswell...-not big rooms

so next job Box Gas Meter take Skirting off 2.5 running through skirting

am I being picky !!!

Time to Ring the Landlord Tomorrow i think

elec 9.jpg

elec 10.jpg

What colour is that incoming neutral? an absolute mess by the way, I wouldn't expect to see a board as messy as that from a first year apprentice at college.

AndyGuinness

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 02:25 ---------- Previous post was made at 02:23 ----------

You said it was rewired a year ago? with line being red? sounds like a cowboy job to Me, ask to see the EIC.

AndyGuinness

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 02:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 02:25 ----------

Where do we start on this?

AndyGuinness

Year ago it was rewired just before i moved in as house was full refurb recons got cert prob a piece of paper saying ALL OK lol... couldn't even use the same breakers. im lucky im moving out,when i took a door off to put new flooring in put door back on bang got 2 cables in door frame house is a joke.

yea mains old colours worst C/U Seen so far

landlord got 40 houses hate to see what others like :pray

Think a phone call to the council as it dangerous prob go through all there houses REWIRE Jobs

1.5 on 32a surprises it lasted a year ..... Think il be getting a full deposit back ;)

Private rented or Council?

Either way you NEED to inform the landlord, as presumably he's the one that paid for the "rewire" and he has a duty to make it safe.

I'm sure there's a lot more to this story than meets the eye. Surely even a cowboy knows what size cable to use and not to put it behind skirting board. Sounds more like the builder doing the refurb did it himself without employing an electrician.

You say Landlord got 40 houses so is it a private landlord? It's his responsibility to ensure they are all safe. He's the one with a big headache to sort out if they are all like this.

You could try contacting trading standards, but that will probably just have the effect of them ensuring it's put right before the property is let again.

And yes that's a shoddy CU.

But looking deeper, it's wired to 16th (no RCD on lights) and half the CPC's don't reach the earth bar without being extended in a chocky. So I'm willing to bet this "rewire" consisted of a poor CU change and perhaps a few other cosmetic alterations. I'm also sure it was done more than a year ago.

Private rented dave

well a year ago just before i moved in we come looked at house before refurb and board was done year ago defo as it was wylex 3036 board,think i re phrase what i said i thought it was full rewire thinks she just had new circuits put in cuz when i viewed it again he was putting cables in ...,put it this way when i put door back on and hit the cable she sent the (sparky) round he put terminal block on pushed it back in door casing and left,

light kept flickering after that joker... so i sorted it pulled a new cable in etc

dont worry il be doing something bout it ,putting peoples life at risk to save a few pennys

Definitely a cowboy then if that board really was fitted just a year ago. Almost certainly a second hand board from somewhere, and the "electrician" has no idea about 17th edition and rcd protection of cables. Confirmed by the choc blocks and shove it back in the door casing.

Just a question, if it was rented, what were you doing "putting the back door on"? Speaking as a landlord, I wouldn't be expecting my tenants to take doors of and put them back on. If there was a problem with a door sticking etc I would hope they would contact me and I would get it sorted.

na dont like doing any house work but i long to live better, so when i moved in it was shabby wood floor that they did refurb in damp proofing ,plumbing and plastereing etc and didnt replace or protect the floor

it was coming up everywhere gaps and peeling it was livable but i agreed with landlord that ill pay and put new flooring in at my own cost so was doing her a favour

just door was hanging by match sticks lol as holes in casing were huge

Reference previous posts; mix of protective device

manufacturers in the CCU.

Looking at that lot it looks impossible to identify the

conductors by the order in which the protective devices

are placed within.

There is a c/b with wires of old and new colours coming

out of it at the top at the right hand end.

If that is a 63 Amp RCD it does not look big enough to

protect the circuits to the right; which I assume it protects.

Reference previous posts; mix of protective device manufacturers in the CCU.

Looking at that lot it looks impossible to identify the

conductors by the order in which the protective devices

are placed within.

There is a c/b with wires of old and new colours coming

out of it at the top at the right hand end.

If that is a 63 Amp RCD it does not look big enough to

protect the circuits to the right; which I assume it protects.
yes its a 63A Rcd And its protect 3 ring mains x 32a and the oven and hob on 40a complete joke death trap carnt believe lived like this for a year and never suspected a thing