Todays waste of time job (faulty instructions)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few weeks back I did some upgrades to a house being refurbished. One of those was a new boiler time clock and room thermostat, like for like swap but more modern.

When I did the job, the heating was drained down so I could not test it properly, but what could possibly go wrong.

Well the plumber had finished and now the "heating does not work"

I traced the problem to no call for heat from the time clock and room stat combination.  Turn the room stat down, and the heating came on.

The stat has 3 terminals labelled A, B and C.  the instructions say A is NO, B is NC and C is COM. so I had connected to A and C.  So the fact it turned on when you turn the stat down meant I had got NO and NC confused, so I swapped it to connect to B and C.  Now it did not turn on at all.

A few minutes with the multi meter determine A was common, B was NO and C was NC.  Bloody instructions were WRONG.

But seeing as you have now not followed the MI’s, does this mean you have to take responsibility as the Mfr as you’ve modified the connections??
Well it simply would not work if you had followed the MI's in this case.  Of course I could have wasted even more time taking the issue up with the manufacturer.

I think the "issue" was nothing more than the paper label that identified the terminals as A B and C was on backwards, but then if it was put on the right way it would then be upside down.

So what would you have done if it did not work as expected?

Well it simply would not work if you had followed the MI's in this case.  Of course I could have wasted even more time taking the issue up with the manufacturer.

I think the "issue" was nothing more than the paper label that identified the terminals as A B and C was on backwards, but then if it was put on the right way it would then be upside down.

So what would you have done if it did not work as expected?
no different to yourself Dave. Nothing beats a bit of common sense!