Toilet Extractor Fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notmy Realname

Reaction score
I'm replacing an extractor fan in a small toilet.  Since the walls are newly tiled and all the walls and ceiling are solid (plastered concrete), I don't want to run any more cables if at all possible. 

The (very) old fan that I removed had three twin and earth cables attached, two are dead and one is permanently live.  So using this live cable, I want to fit a new fan with an integral pull cord and a run-on timer, independent of the light, as I'm assuming this would minimise the wiring involved.  To my surprise, this type of fan is quite rare, although I have found the Manrose Gold MG100TP which I think would fit the bill.

My questions are these: 1. Is a separate toilet, with no basin, classed distinctly from a bathroom as regards Part P? ie is this work notifiable?

2. Can I fit a fan isolator switch on the wall next to the fan at ceiling height?

3. Will I also need a 3A FCU?

Welcome to the forum

1. Not notifiable if its a direct replacement & its not a special location

2.Yes, some would argue its not needed as it cant start  remotely

3.If the manufacturer says so. If so fit a double pole, FCU with a 3a fuse in place of the isolator

An important thing to check before deciding if a fuse is needed, is to determine where the permanently live feed comes from and determine the rating of fuse or mcb feeding it.

If you can't find a fan with a timer and a pull cord switch, you could always fit a wall mounted pull cord switch immediately under the fan to perform that function. You can get a 1g plate switch with a pull cord that comes out of the bottom of the plate which would do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm replacing an extractor fan in a small toilet.  Since the walls are newly tiled and all the walls and ceiling are solid (plastered concrete), I don't want to run any more cables if at all possible. 
The (very) old fan that I removed had three twin and earth cables attached, two are dead and one is permanently live.  So using this live cable, I want to fit a new fan with an integral pull cord and a run-on timer, independent of the light, as I'm assuming this would minimise the wiring involved.  To my surprise, this type of fan is quite rare, although I have found the Manrose Gold MG100TP which I think would fit the bill.

My questions are these: 1. Is a separate toilet, with no basin, classed distinctly from a bathroom as regards Part P? ie is this work notifiable?

2. Can I fit a fan isolator switch on the wall next to the fan at ceiling height?

3. Will I also need a 3A FCU?

Welcome to the forum, how did the old fan operate? if you say you have two dead cables, are you sure they cannot be energized from somewhere else, or are they loop out supplies to other accessories on the circuit?. Is the permanently live cable still live when your light is off? Re the pull-cord operation and run-on timer option. If the fan has no power indication neon then the two items can be a non-logical/intuitive operation, i.e. most pull cord fans are a toggle switch operation, pull once to switch on then then pull again to switch off. If the fan also has run-on timer pulling the cord to turn off, would appear to make no difference so a user may then try repeated cord pulls with the possibility of it being left permanently on. A pneumatic timer switch with just a manual fan could be another option to consider if you have a suitable position to mount a switch. http://www.screwfix.com/p/columbus-pneumatic-time-delay-switch/68088?_requestid=842750

Doc H.

Thanks for the advice guys.  A 3A fused FCU sounds good.  I'll order the Manrose fan and... job done.

I corrected it - I would hope it was a mouse accident

Latest posts