Tool Box Or Tool Bag?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairyspark

Reaction score
I have now filled my first tool box and its getting a bit too full, can anyone recommend a decent tool bag or box? I currently have the Stanley galvanised 23" box I would prefer a bag as they seem easier to carry about

Cheers

Bobby

Get the Stanley weather proof one mate. Great box. I've been there with the open totes etc. Just get full of brick dust.

Only downside to the Stanley weather proof is it gets heavy and doesn't fit through most doors sideways ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I am 'jobbing', ie doing multiple small jobs/ callouts per day, I only carry a small toolbox which contains only my most commonly used items, eg, tester/ multimeter, screwdrivers, snips, pliers, allen keys, small shifter, crimper.

For the larger jobs I have a larger toolbox ! nothing too flash, just a plastic one I got for about £17 from the local hardware store. In that box I have stuff like the lumphammer, chisels, tin snips, files, spanners, blah blah.

Im the same i have a small jobbing bag, then a couple of boxes for bigger jobs. 90% of the time the jobbing bag is enough.

I have almost every toolbox/case/bag invented. Ranging from £500 Turtle case to a Wall paper paste bucket!!!! [aquired today]

Favourites are Turtle case for flights or long trecks across site/town OR old Fluke tester box for the everyday stuff

AFTER 35 YEARS i HAVE STILL NOT FOUND THE 'ULTIMATE'! so if you do , then let me know :coat

i have 1 toolbox a stanley weatherproof box, which was sturdy enough to use as a hop up box aswell!

streetlighter has ummm let me see iv lost count how many tool boxes/cases

iv been looking at the CK Bags/case and also the stanley bag as my case is getting far too full now! and its rather heavy!

let me know what u decide and once uv tested it out if its any good :)

Loadsa different boxes, chests, bags, totes, trays, crates, trolley-boxes ...etc...etc..etc....

all for there own specific purpose...

You just need to keep an eye out at the DIY shed for offers...

They often have some dam good tool storage / containers on good cheap half price offers!

So any box/bag/tote etc that is cheapo and big enough is usually very good!!!

Also..

are you looking at, for storing gear in van, then selecting items out of......

or for carrying around regular stuff all kept together?

:popcorn

Well it's for storing all my tools as I mainly work at my company's yard, I work for a boat yard so moving between the lifeboat refits and the new build my tool box gets moved around a lot and i pretty much need most of them all the time so I have thought about the 2 boxes but then I have to carry 2 boxes lol

i have an open topped bag that i use for most jobs. there are a few ther tool bags/boxes in the van, but i usually only take what i need from them and either put it in the other bag or a bucket

Mrs Streetlighter - i bet you have a white plastic box/bucket very similar to the one i have (but mine is getting old and is held together with cable ties & duct tape)

Well it's for storing all my tools as I mainly work at my company's yard, I work for a boat yard so moving between the lifeboat refits and the new build my tool box gets moved around a lot and i pretty much need most of them all the time so I have thought about the 2 boxes but then I have to carry 2 boxes lol
2 boxes balances out load and avoids twisting spine - not such a bad idea.

i have an open topped bag that i use for most jobs. there are a few ther tool bags/boxes in the van, but i usually only take what i need from them and either put it in the other bag or a bucket

Mrs Streetlighter - i bet you have a white plastic box/bucket very similar to the one i have (but mine is getting old and is held together with cable ties & duct tape)
haha not a white one but we have plenty of orange ones andy, they used to have patchmac (pot hole filler) in them! i hate the damn things! the back of our van is a shed! i duno how streety finds anything in there, as i never can! but if i organise it, he wont be able to find anything!

Just a wee update bought a cheap tool bag from B&Q for £15. Made by JCB holds everything I need and has space for more :) plus ave got ma Stanley tool box for more space :) thanks for the advice guys al let you know how this wee cheap number gets on.

Last week we where browsing in B&Q they had they xmas deals on power and hand tools in the seasonal area, I treated Mrs Streetlighter to a JCB toolbag on Wheels looks a bit like a suit case and has a retractable handle.

Would probably make a very good suitcase too seems to be quite robust id say as good as Stanleys fat max range cost me £35 so ill see how she gets on with it.