Trouble with a bathroom fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ab07ash

Reaction score
Hi all just installed a fan in the bathroom. Its ment to come on with the light and then once the light is switched of should run for 1 min etc. The fan does not come on with the light but will come on (for the run on time) when you turn the light off. I've run a length of 3 core & earth from a jb in the attic to the isolator and a length from the isolator to the fan. Switched live to L1 permenant live to L2 and Neutral to L3 in the isolator. The fan is labelled Neutral, Sw live and permenant live which I have followed.

I'm a second year apprentice so could really do with some help. Followed the wiring diagram and scratching my head as to why it won't work?

Any suggestions

Double check the connections for L SwL & N....

Had a fan once with the little timer PCB behind a plastic housing, connected to a short length of wire to a connector block...

all inside the fan body..

BUT...

The wires between the PCB & connector block had a cross-over in one pair...

So had some weired operations bit like what you are describing...

had to look at the terminal designations etched on the PCB to get it working right!

;)

Hi Ash,

Make a small donation to the forum, this will get you access to the downloads area, go to the downloads section, look within the wiring diagrams, you will find, bathroom fan and light switch diagrams, these may be able to guide you, as to how to connect up correctly, HTH (MEERKAT) :)

Thanks will have a look at the fan unit. the jb has switch live, neutral and 3 permanant lives (would be loop in pendant)and the earth.

U could check if you have 230v l & n at the fan with the light off iso on (you should) then 230v between sw live & n when the lights on as well as 230v between l & n ( you should)

If you do then you have a faulty fan, often happens, if you do not have the voltage you expect you need to go back to your jb and double check what you have there ( you may need to back track from that jb to where is comes from)

2nd yr apprentice should be able to do the above and take it as a lesson that not all is as it seems in the dark dark dusty cramped lonely loft space...

mwwahHAHAHAHAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa........

boss, i think the line of your fan got series connected with your lighting JB and connected to the switch..

your first option is, detached your fan line from the JB,, and locate the JB of the C.O. then connect it.

Govie round these parts if it's what your thinking also a foreigner yes I did do these until part p came about

i personally wouldn't do anything that didn't involve paying tax... really. :innocent