Unable to test circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkJ

Reaction score
Doing a PIR and have come across a problem testing on one circuit. It is a dedicated circuit for a shower pump.

A great big heavy ceramic bath has been fitted on top of the pump and I cannot get anywhere near it and I cant even see where the cable connects to it let alone test the circuit.

Should I write

code 3! Requires further investigation

maybe a code 2 if connections are not accessable, its all down to your judgement, how easily could the pump be replaced if it failed? Isolation switch somewhere??

You could possibly do some limited tests? such as Insulation resistance between earth an Live and neutral combined. Can you get a meter probe onto an external metal part to verify earth continuity? Being aware of course of possible parallel paths though pipes giving false reading? At the end of the day you can only test what you can get access to. other stuff will just be a noted limitation.

Doc H.

I can't get anywhere near the pump. It needs the bath taking out to get any sort of access.

That answers your own question then really. To my understanding, doing the impossible and miracles are not a requirement of a PIR. As sellers suggests is there an isolator somewhere near by? test to the nearest accessible point is probably all you can do?

Doc H.

Doing a PIR and have come across a problem testing on one circuit. It is a dedicated circuit for a shower pump.A great big heavy ceramic bath has been fitted on top of the pump and I cannot get anywhere near it and I cant even see where the cable connects to it let alone test the circuit.

Should I write

I'v come across similar before and fitted an isolator as close to pump as I could. This meant I could test circuit to isolator and just put unable to disconnect pump, or something similar. The main reason for doing it tho was in case the pump became faulty and took rcd out.

Latest posts