URGENT - Computer Hellp Required...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
... I have placed this here for help because I need it quickly....

Desktop pc has thrown a wobbler.

It won't come on, giving the reason as: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have tried to do this, but it don't work. I have even tried the instructions on Microsoft's website here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B307545

But, I don't see the screen that they mention.

I normally do back ups of what I have on my 'C Drive' and was due one recently. (Never did it, as I had a lot of other work to do). :(

I have photo's etc on there, and my Children's homework. (The older pictures/photo's, I have saved to my External Hardrive - About a month or two ago - So I would be missing my recent ones :_| ).

I remebered that I also had other files there, after I inserted my CD-ROm (Acer recover Disc that I made when I first Purchased the PC several Years Ago).

After confirming "English" and that I wanted to proceed even though it would wipe my C drive clean, I remembered about other files that I need to keep too (I thought there might be the screen that Microsoft describe, further into the steps of re-writing from original disc, because I couldn't see them elsewhere), Anyway - I stopped the Recovery process as soon as I realised that there wasn't any further screens etc.

What I see now is

"Verifying DMI pool Data ................. Update Success

MTLDR is missing

Press any Key to restart"

When I press anykey, I am greeted with...

"Boot from CD: Disk Boot Failure insert system Disc press Enter"

I have a feeling that I have lost everything, But some computer expert out there please confirm if I can recover it or have I got to do a clean install from my recover disc, Please?

:_|

clicky

go to post 14

nothing is lost forever (well, not always)

best if you can use a new hard drive and clean install, then recover all data from other drive. if you re-install onto existing, it may over write existing files

I can't get anything onto the screen at present mate. At All. :(

So, you would say to get another Hard drive (Internal) - fit that, (Even though I have started to use the "Recovery Disc"), and I should be able to recover files and photos off of my other Hard drive?

Would the "Recovery Disc" work on the new Hardrive?

Sorry mate, I need this explained in "Nerd Form". :_|

Forgot to mention that I am on the Laptop at prensent, because I cannot use the Desktop PC, :(

the recover disk may work. but if you have formatted the hard drive it may over write any existing files. if its been formatted, another hard drive would be best. install onto there, then get your files back from the other drive later.

only catch is the recovery disk may not work on a new hard drive

there may be a chance that you don't need to recover the data.

Get a new hdd, disconnect your old one and install windows then shut down; set your old hdd as a secondary, connect up and turn on

You might then be able to see your old hdd I'm my computer and access the files

Hth

Too Late, Guys,

I have done a full recovery - Got P'd off. :_|

Thanks for your input though. :(

Just downloaded and "Run" the free version.

Will that pick up my files then Andy? Even though I have done a full System Restore (Not A Windows XP restore).

I've had exactly the same problem as you. Config and other files missing. i can give you the phone number of an IT expert who can talk you through the recovery command by command, just like he did for me. It took about two hours.

Send me a text to oh, triple seven, eight, five, two, double seven, eight, one and I'll text you his name and number back (sorry about the criptic number but my website is ooo).

the only thing is, that you might not be able to do this anymore because of all the "faffing" you've done with it, but 'my mate' is the man to ask about that

Thanks PC, as you say, it would probably be no good as I have 'done things' to it and used the recovery disc that I had to make when I first bought the pc, to do a fresh install, which, no doubt, have got rid of everything that was old on here.

I tried that programme that Andy recommended, and there were 10's of thousands of files there - that can't be right for a fresh install, surely? A quick flick through and Naturally, there were all the files from the fresh install` and what appeared to be, others besides. (Not that I understood what they were - even when I view them like Windows Explore would allegedly display them).

As it was the free trial part, it wouldn't let me look into them in detail. But $50 for it - is NOT Cheap. :( (Would be worth it if I COULD get my files back - but there is no guarantee of it, and when You (I) don't what you are looking at, then is it worth it?).

Regards,

Admin.

PS. Last night, my mouse stopped working too, so off to town now to buy another. (I usually have a spare, around - but not on this occasion). :_|

I tried that programme that Andy recommended, and there were 10's of thousands of files there - that can't be right for a fresh install, surely? its every file thats ever was on your hard drive. data is only physically removed from the drive if new data over writes it A quick flick through and Naturally, there were all the files from the fresh install` and what appeared to be, others besides. (Not that I understood what they were - even when I view them like Windows Explore would allegedly display them).
my red

getdatabak.

I would take that disk out and put a new one in. Anything written to that disk from now on runs the risk of destroying data.

Agree with the buy a new drive, don't do any more with your original drive

As has been mentioned set the old drive up as secondary (D:\) it may be that you can get a lot of stuff back, but does depend on how much of the file indexing has been trashed by the repair process

Getdataback is good but alas free trials just show you what they could recover, all down to how much recovering is your lost data worth to you, you will need a formatted drive of at least equal size to write the data to

MTLDR is missing

Press any Key to restart"

When I press anykey, I am greeted with...

"Boot from CD: Disk Boot Failure insert system Disc press Enter"

:_|
Quite a common error when XP gets corrupted, I believe the file is in fact NTLDR.dll

You can sometimes fix by copying that missing file from a good disk, but does require you to attach the disk temporarily to a working system

these can be useful for that

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-IDE-SATA-Adaptor-Cable-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-UK-/150466336494?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Collectables_InputDevices_RL&hash=item23087e16ee#ht_2583wt_1137

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Dual-Sata-IDE-HDD-Hard-Disk-Drive-Docking-Station-/330456320501?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4cf0bb49f5#ht_2013wt_911

Latest posts