Vehicle livery gone wrong !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noticed a couple of vans today , not electrical , the big , ugly Mercedes transit type things .

Totally plastered in lettering , all colours ,all sizes , various phone numbers , websites , emails etc ..some lettering sloping at an angle ,  a great montage of trade recommendation logos.

Who was it ?    No idea !  Far too complicated .   Don't fall into that trap.

You've made it when all you need to put is  ...BT  ...or... British Gas...or Eddie Stoppard.    They don't need to put anything else .  

Another mistake, and  I see it a lot ,  is, say .....Steptoe Ltd    Phone 123456789 .    Ok , give us a clue ...do you think you are so well known that we all know what you do ? 

Or something like ....Jones Bros. Ltd   .....  Facilitators & Providors       :C  

I think even one liveried van will make an impact , locally anyway,  even when just outside a job for a few weeks say.

I think you need :-

Name ..   Home area ....trade ...disciplines ....contact number..... trade body logo.

So:- 

STEPTOE & SON Ltd

ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS                      ( or  ELECTRICIANS ..or ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS)

Manchester

Commercial-Industrial-Domestic Installations

Tel;  1234567890

Nice & simple , gets your name across

Or theres a van in my area ....Kane & Abel ,  Roofers    ( Sticks in the mind )

Or there used to be a Sikh builder's van that said  " You've tried the Cowboys now try the Indians"  

Last edited by a moderator:
you've seen my van then Deke?

STEPTOE & DAUGHTER

Electrical Services Ltd

Domestic , Commercial & Industrial

Mcr,  T : 0161 1234 567  M : 07712 345 678

No....only ever saw the horse & cart  TBH :innocent

Steptoe & Son

Rag & Bone Men

Oil Drum Lane 

Shepherd's Bush

London

Darn Sarf

All been downhill since then .

Last edited by a moderator:
as well as the usual Part P qualified twaddle
That is the one where customers ask "why are you only part qualified?"........................hence I removed the "Part P approved" when I changed vans. 

When I started up on my own about 11 years ago I had the van sign written. Had the van for 3 years and only ever received 2 jobs/ phone calls from it..............One was to ask why my van was hogging the middle lane and the other I pulled up outside my sisters hairdressers and the lady from the Chinese takeaway a few doors down come out and asked if I could put a light up in the kitchen. Went in to look at the existing fluorescent which was about an inch thick in grease...She asked how much, told her £40 and I went and got the apprentice out the van to do it as I wasn't touching it lol. It wasn't all bad for him though as I let him keep the £40.....ever since I haven't bothered having any of my vans sign written.

Canoeboy said:
Never do sign writing, causes too many issues when you sub contract to larger companies - doesnt it @sprocketflup :slap

@sprocketflups sign written van has graphics on it as high as a bungalow, its quite in your face........

I think he's lonely or mis-understood.........

Haha! I was wondering how long it'd be before you mentioned that :)

When I started up on my own about 11 years ago I had the van sign written. Had the van for 3 years and only ever received 2 jobs/ phone calls from it..............One was to ask why my van was hogging the middle lane and the other I pulled up outside my sisters hairdressers and the lady from the Chinese takeaway a few doors down come out and asked if I could put a light up in the kitchen. Went in to look at the existing fluorescent which was about an inch thick in grease...She asked how much, told her £40 and I went and got the apprentice out the van to do it as I wasn't touching it lol. It wasn't all bad for him though as I let him keep the £40.....ever since I haven't bothered having any of my vans sign written.
Having been knocking around Plymouth for 11 years with sign written vans kept clean and tidy, it's interesting how many customers mention them. It's a bit like subliminal advertising, they may not register the company name or activities by reading the van, but when they do go looking for an Electrician and they see my advert / website, I get the call because they feel familiar with the business.

that domestic installer sign isn't cutting it for me lol apart from that doesn't look bad. What's the pic at the top on all sides?

Whats wrong with DI? If you peel those DI stickers off, theres AC stickers underneath. I don't see the point in paying an extra £300-£400 quid when theres nowt an AC can do that a DI cant? Maybe I'm wrong. Truth be told the only reason I'm with a scam is to sign off, and the only reason I'm with NIC is because they seem to be the one that's recognised around here. When Stroma become more well known, Ill be joining them.

The stickers on the top - advertise my band. Id put the name up here but previous experience wont allow me.

I don't have any signs on my van, not for subbing, but in the hope that no-one decides that there are tools in there that they want.

Not long ago parked outside a job in flats, someone broke the back door handle trying to get in, then slashed 3 tyres.

Anyway a local curry house delivery van has a sign on the back door "no curries left in van overnight" :D